Community mourns teens killed in motorcycle crash

Kelsy McGill, 18, and Patrick Boylan, 19, were best friends who died tragically in a freak motorcycle accident in the parking lot of their South Suburban high school on Friday night.

Students and faculty gathered at the spot outside Crete-Monee High School, fighting back tears and left to deal with the loss two friends.

“She was very talented,” McGill’s close friend Amy Carollo said. “She was one of those friends you wanted to be around. She was always so happy.”

Friends describe McGill as as kind and caring student interested in the cosmetology field.

“Kelsey certainly was soft, sweet, precious counterpart to Pat,” said Ian’s mother Kathy Carter-Young.

Boylan’s friend Ian Young described him as a fun, boisterous young man who was the exact opposite of McGill.

“Pat would be mad at us all for crying and tell us to get over it,” Young said. “Suck it up. In fact he wouldn’t say it very nicely.”

In the midst of such a great tragedy, this group of tightly knit friends found moments of laughter and comfort. One of those moments came from reading the devotional book McGill was reading as friends turned to the page she had bookmarked.

“The greatest blessing is nearness to me abundant joy and peace in my presence,” Young read out loud. “Practice praising and thanking me continually throughout this day.

“She was reading about heaven,” Carter-Young said. “I think one moment they were together and the next they were in Jesus’ arms, and I think they’re all good. They’re all good.”

12 Comments to “Community mourns teens killed in motorcycle crash”

esco said:
    July 6, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I don't trust motorcycles just for this reason. They're cool to look at but too dangerous. I would be very upset if a member of my family bought one. So many good people are lost due to these machines, it's sad.

Jon said:
    July 6, 2013 at 10:49 PM

You need to have a an understanding that they were kids. "They are responsible for their own deaths." What a completely disgusting remark. If you have nothing nice to say don't say it.

Friday said:
    July 6, 2013 at 11:44 PM

You can die doing anything in life. Drying your hair, swimming, walking down steps, crossing a street, riding a motorcycle. Some activities require greater attention than others to prevent death.

Tiredofwa$te said:
    July 7, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Chitcagosmartiepants, go play on the Eisenhower expressway. You really are a poor excuse for a human being.

N/A said:
    July 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM

that's very disrespectful; if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all. Don't come here to Criticize

Jon said:
    July 7, 2013 at 4:43 PM

There is a special place for people like you. The amount of disrespect you show towards Patrick and Kelsey is just unnecessary. I don't know how people like you can even think of a comment like that to type.

Nancy said:
    July 8, 2013 at 10:34 PM

The devotion book that Kelsey had and was read in this video is "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young. It was referring. "“The greatest blessing is nearness to me abundant joy and peace in my presence" is talking about the blessings of being near Jesus!

ken said:
    July 9, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Pit Pat you will be missed, you left this life to soon.

I love you, Uncle Kenny