Business

Jewel loyalty ending

Supermarket Jewel Foods is ending its “Preferred Customer” card loyalty program.

According to Jewel spokeswoman Christine Wilcox, the change reflects “our wanting every customer who walks through the door to get the same deal as if they  had a card on their keychain chain or not.  We want things to be simple.”

The change is considered contrary to other retailers, as many, such as Walgreen’s, are either implementing or building current customer loyalty programs.

8 Comments to “Jewel loyalty ending”

Wayne said:
    June 28, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Jewel was always over priced, loyalty card or not

andrea daus said:
    June 28, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Well I sure hope that means they're lowering their prices because even with the "so called" preferred customer discount, their prices are outrageous.

anonymous said:
    June 28, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Exactly! Could not have said it better!

itsclose said:
    June 28, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I gladly drive out of my way to the establishments that consistently have much lower prices. Jewel will be doomed if they don't do the same. I stopped shopping at Jewel for staples several years ago. I only stop in for some of their French bread and bagels maybe once a month.

Raul said:
    June 28, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I do much better shopping at ALDI or Walmart.

Martin said:
    June 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Well I work right next to a Jewel, so a lot of times when I get off work I pay them a visit before I head home. I never had a card to begin with, always gave them my dad's old phone number, but I was surprised to find out a couple weeks ago that the loyalty ended and I did notice much cheaper prices than they had before. Like Walmart-cheap if not cheaper. For now I think they've gained my business.

Liz said:
    July 1, 2013 at 12:25 AM

I think these stores are on their way to closing all together since they are no longer part of Albertsons too. They can’t compete with non union stores in this economy.