Woman robbed of $200K worth of jewelry on Mag Mile

A 69-year-old woman was robbed of as much as $200,000 in jewelry, cash and other items by a group of young men in front of a North Michigan Avenue department store this afternoon, authorities said.

A victim was robbed of her possessions in the 700 block of North Michigan Avenue about 12:20 p.m., said Police News Affairs Officer Ronald Gaines.

The victim was not injured in the robbery, Gaines said.

Gaines had no information on suspect descriptions, or the amount taken in the robbery.

The woman, age 69, was robbed by a group of at least three and as many and eight young men, law enforcement sources said. A detailed description was not available.

The woman told police the group surrounded her, and demanded her money and jewelry.

The robbers took several thousand dollars in cash and several pieces of jewelry, including one diamond brooch valued at about $50,000, authorities said. The woman told police the value of the items, including the jewelry, cash and her purse, was as much as $200,000, sources said.

Area Central detectives were investigating.

-Chicago Tribune Reporting

8 Comments to “Woman robbed of $200K worth of jewelry on Mag Mile”

Wicker Park One said:
    May 15, 2013 at 9:14 PM

This story sounds fishy. NO ONE saw anything? Who from Homewood-Flossmore carries $200,000 worth of jewelry and $6000 in cash? This woman probably is lying.

kirby1414 said:
      May 16, 2013 at 4:35 AM

I used to live in Flossmoor – the area is changing, but, there are still many wealthy folks that live there- lots of 'private country clubbers', and many of them are seniors…so she could have been wearing expensive jewelry and carrying $$$. The later news report said $100K in jewels…
      It's an odd story – I agree – but, from what I know about the Flossmoor folks – the jewelry and $$$ things are 'possible'~

addie said:
      May 16, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I agree it sounds fishy. None of the reports state that there were any witnesses, and there's so little detail…it just doesn't sound right to me. There should be a little more information from the media if they're going to scare everyone and keep them from shopping the Mag Mile. Besides, if I'm walking around with $6000 cash, it would be in my underpants!! Why would a defenseless woman walk around with it in her purse?

Spam_Sniper said:
    May 15, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Nope

Truth said:
    May 15, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Dan Ponce said at 9 o'clock "no useful description of the suspects, only that they're in their late teens or early 20's"

Really? The woman didn't notice if they were White, Hispanic, Asian, or Black? bull! This is political correctness run amok.

maddmen24 said:
    May 16, 2013 at 7:47 AM

people think its a joke.until it happen to them.best belive.it will.GET OUTTA CHICAGO NOW!

sharong4 said:
    May 16, 2013 at 9:32 AM

NO YOU DON'T KNOW WHO THE RACE AND THUGS ARE. FOR ALL I KNOW YOU COULD HAVE BEEN A PART OF IT. For one, why would anyone walk down the street, by themselves, with that much in valueables on. I am not poor, but I still wouldn't go out, unless I am clubbing or going to an expensive restaurant, with that much on. Rappers and Actors have bodyguards. The story still sounds odd to me. There are 3-8 people surrounding a lady and she is handing over all of this an d no body notices anything. The Mile is always popping. it is always crowding, especially with the warm weather and she couldn't see her attackers faces. COME ON NOW!!!! Sounds like "INSURANCE FRAUD" to me.

Jenna Mills said:
    May 17, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Women robbers are increasing day by day. Specially they are targeting ladies and become familiar with them to capture jewelry.