Body pulled from river suspected to be missing Maywood boy

The body of a young boy was recovered from the Des Plaines River this afternoon after being discovered by a man in a kayak.

For nearly a month, and nearly every day along the Des Plaines River, that man, Robert Larson, looked for the body of Bryeon Hunter.  A 1-year-old he never knew, except for the story of how he died.

“Why am I doing this? Because it’s the right thing to do. It seemed like nobody cared about him being in the river,” he said.

This afternoon around 4 p.m., the month-long search seemed to come to an end in the river near Brookfield Zoo.  Larson saw the small, naked body of a young boy caught up on debris in the water.

“ I knew what it was as soon as I approached,” said Larson.”

22-year-old Lakeshia Baker told investigators that she and her boyfriend, 21-year-old Michael Scott, beat her son with a belt and plastic hanger on April 15 before leaving him to die on the bathroom floor of their Maywood apartment then dumping his body several miles upstream from today’s discovery. Both are now charged with his murder.

Tonight, Bryeon’s grandmother came to  identify the body at the medical examiner’s office but was told to come back tomorrow after an autopsy.

For Robert Larson, it is the end of an emotional mission which was aided by his two search dogs and the will to bring a little boy home.

13 Comments to “Body pulled from river suspected to be missing Maywood boy”

Dddddssss said:
    May 14, 2013 at 6:00 PM

That's not Maywood. It borders Brookfield, North Riverside and Riverside.

Whatever said:
    May 14, 2013 at 6:10 PM

It's more like Riverside, 31st and First Avenue. That's where all the police are right now.

Annie said:
    May 14, 2013 at 6:51 PM

If ever there were two people who deserved to be shot dead like the rabid dogs that they are it's these two deranged animals. That little boy probably never experienced an ounce of love or kindness in his sad, short life. I hope both of these "parents" get theirs repeatedly in prison. May they experience nothing but physical, emotional and psychological pain and misery for the rest of their pathetic disgusting lives. RIP precious little boy. Had your pathetic excuses for parents given you up for adoption — as all of these unequipped, heartless savages should do — your life could have been so much more.

Loving other said:
    May 14, 2013 at 9:44 PM

It doesn't matter where its at is that Bryeon. so the family can put him to rest the right way. For the mother her day is coming. I can't judge only one person can do that. Bryeon you are in a safe place now no one is going to hurt you no more. we will always keep you in our prayer.

A loving mommy said:
    May 14, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Thank God for the amazing gentlemen that was so persistent and had a huge heart to continue the search for that littl angel….now may he rest in peace.

Laura said:
    May 14, 2013 at 10:39 PM

God bless you Robert Larson, for your compassionate heart.

kirby1414 said:
    May 14, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Both of these maggot killers should HAVE to go to the autopsy – stand there during the entire procedure, and look at how their evil act of murder left this poor baby….
    I feel sorry for the crying gramma – but, I can't believe that this was the FIRST time that this baby was abused by these 2 killers…and if gramma had ANY idea that something wasn't right with the treatment of this baby…well, then, sorry – but, she's guilty too. She talks about this being 'my baby' – - – I would assume she saw a lot of the child…and she NEVER saw the 2 killing maggots angry? any bruises? fear from the baby? I hope not…because if she did -see or suspect ANYTHING – then she has this baby's blood on her hands~

Mike Payne said:
    May 14, 2013 at 11:51 PM

This is all sad beyond belief, and my sincere condolences to the little boys remaining family.

BUT — I hear SO MANY people with that "Spare the rod, spoil the child" C R A P — and I know that many times it leads directly to THIS.

Trish said:
    May 15, 2013 at 6:41 AM

Amen

Trish said:
    May 15, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Look at this beautiful babies face, just what coul he have done to deserve such an terrible death, so many without children could have loved and cherished this gift………yes as several have said……they deserve the death penalty. I hope he haunts them forever, but I doubt it, they have no concsience and this baby is an Angel

Loving others said:
    May 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM

You know we are all missing something at first I had lots of love for the grandmother until the story want on and on why grandma wasn't the one who was out looking everyday I'm not a grandmother but what I do know if one of mine was missing my mother would be the second to run after me so that's bull$h!t I don't think nobody care about little man. Even after her silly a$$ daughter confess to killing him she still say in the same breath my baby didn't do it . NO MEN CAN MAKE U KILL YOUR CHILD but God please take him in he been through enough