Cubs Game Notes For Friday @ Washington
* The Cubs lost to the Cardinals on Wednesday, 5-4, after winning the first game of their two-game series. Now they go back on the road, where the Cubs have won three of their last four after winning just three of their first 12 games away from home.
* The Nationals swept their two-game series with the Tigers to go to 6-1 in the month of May; only the Indians (7-1) have a better record this month (Cardinals also are 6-1).
* Twenty-one of the Cubs’ 40 home runs this season have come with men on base (52.5%); the Tigers (68.8%) are the only other team that has had runners on for more than half of their longballs.
* Over his career, Ross Detwiler is 3-11 (.214) when facing teams of the NL Central, and is .500 (14-14) against all other clubs, despite having a better ERA (3.43) against that division than when facing the rest of the clubs (3.69).
* Bryce Harper has a slugging percentage of .780 versus right-handed pitching this season; in franchise history, no Expos/Nats player has ever posted a higher mark than .639 (Vlad Guerrero in 2000) and the last major leaguer with a higher mark was Barry Bonds in 2004 (.957).
* Darwin Barney is hitless in his last 21 at-bats, which is the third-longest streak among active major leaguers (Chris Snyder – 26, Chris Iannetta – 22).