White Sox Game Notes For Saturday @ Kansas City
* The last seven meetings between the White Sox and Royals have been pitcher’s duels as each team’s starters have averaged over six innings per game, while the offenses have only managed to score a combined 4.3 runs per game.
* The White Sox are coming off back-to-back wins against the Rangers, but have lost the first game of a series seven out of nine times this season. However, they did win the first game of their first series with Kansas City earlier this year.
* The Royals will try and earn their third straight win tonight and build upon their 15-10 start, their best start through 25 games since 2003 when they started 17-8 and finished above .500 for the only time in the previous 18 seasons.
* Jeremy Guthrie will look to set the franchise record for the Royals tonight of 17 straight starts without a loss. Guthrie’s current streak of 16 is tied with Paul Splittorff (1978-1979) for the longest in franchise history. Since his streak began, Guthrie has gone 8-0 with a 2.44 ERA.
* Dylan Axelrod has been strong lately for the White Sox, pitching six innings in each of his last three starts, and allowing only six combined runs over that period, despite giving up four home runs.
* Tyler Flowers hit his fourth home run of the season last night, tying former White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski and Matt Wieters for the third most home runs by an AL catcher this season (minimum 15 games at catcher).