Police question mother of missing boy as river search continues

As authorities contine to seach the Des Plaines river for the body of a missing 1-year-old boy, Maywood police are questioning the boy’s mother and her boyfriend.

Maywood police chief Timothy Curry tells WGN that the mother of  Bryeon Hunter, Lakeshia Baker, is being questioned by police at the Maywood police station.  Curry also adds that Baker’s boyfriend is being held too in questioning by detectives.

But Curry won’t comment on whether or not Baker or her boyfriend are suspects in the disappearance.

Divers and rescuers are searched the river near Lake and 1st Avenue  today with specially trained bloodhounds that are able to detect submerged bodies.  Paramedics and firefighters spend the better part of the day searching the water  in an effort that Maywood Police says is now a recovery operation.

It all started just after 3p.m. yesterday when Bryeon’s mother made a frantic call to police reporting that she’d been attacked in broad daylight at a Maywood Park by three men.  The police later cleared them of any wrongdoing or involvement in this case.

39 Comments to “Police question mother of missing boy as river search continues”

Rodney said:
    April 17, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Praying for all our children…..God please cover them….This is sad and heart breaking.

walktall925 said:
      April 17, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Yes, I agree, we must continue to Pray for our Children and mother's who bring them into this world just to take them out for reasons that make no sense whatsoever!

SadSad said:
    April 17, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Whatever happened to that baby, it wasn't any hispanic guys who did it, that mother knows exactly whats going on. I am an African American woman, so I am no racist, but hispanic thugs or gang members kill the intended target, they do not bother kids and really not women, unless they are involved with a particular situation. When the truth comes out I hope they fry her for what she has done!

DISGUSTED said:
      April 17, 2013 at 4:07 PM

SHE WAS FAKE FROM THE VERY BEGINNING AND POINTING THE FINGER AT SOMEONE ELSE BUT SHE KNOWS WHAT REALLY HAPPENED TO THIS CHILD.

DISGUSTED said:
      April 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM

SHE WAS FAKE FROM THE VERY BEGINNING AND ONLY SHE KNOWS WHERE THIS CHILD IS.

sodamgood said:
      April 19, 2013 at 8:09 PM

that is so true something not rite i think they or her kill m by mistake n now trying to cover it up wow a 1year old baby really god will be there for the lil guy he desever better if i was there i would be mad n wnat to find that kid n amke her n that boyfriend tell the truth i

walktall925 said:
    April 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I really wish these people would think before they act! It is a sad situation for everyone involved.

LiarLiar said:
    April 17, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Usually you aren't held at the police station almost 24 hours after the incident unless the police feel you might be involved. And why would the "abductors" take her to a park, beat her, THEN take her back where they kidnapped her from…why wouldn't they just leave her in the park???? She killed her son or knows exactly what happened!

will county citizen said:
    April 17, 2013 at 3:23 PM

This is very sad. I truly hope she is telling the truth, I hope that missing baby is found safe.if she is infact telling a lie she can rot in hell.just because Casey Anthony got away with the murder of her child does not mean everyone else will, and they shouldn't! !!!!!!

sharong4 said:
      April 18, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I heard that,

Guest said:
    April 17, 2013 at 3:43 PM

she had a huge black eye in the interview. Maybe it was bbydaddy?

maria said:
      April 18, 2013 at 7:04 PM

She stop lying she know that baby is she knows what happens come on tell the truth let'get the truthbed poor babyw

she is so much lying she needs to come up and tell the truth the baby deserves that her and that man together Yeah right what kind of mom voice telling the truthwhen it comes to her baby's lifeI am so disgusted with them both of themrest in peace baby

tammy said:
    April 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM

She is lying, because y would you walk all the home, when you were two blocks from the police station. Does not make any sense, she did something to her own child. That's why the police is still holding her and she will be charged.

DISGUSTED said:
    April 17, 2013 at 4:06 PM

SHE WAS BLAMING EVERYONE BUT HERSELF AND SHE KNOWS WHERE SHE PUT THE BODY.

bobhamiltonchicago said:
    April 17, 2013 at 4:14 PM

This savage beast needs to be put down.

sodamgood said:
      April 19, 2013 at 8:11 PM

no what we need to do is pray for her i wnat to see that kid alive we dont know if he die or what but yea shoe know wish i was there i make her tell me the truth

attitude killer said:
    April 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM

drug test her !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

DISGUSTED said:
      April 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM

NO WAY BECAUSE THEN SHE'LL SAY SHE WAS UNDER THE INFLUENCE AND HEARD VOICES THAT TOLD HER TO DO THIS BUT IN REALITY SHE IS THE ONE THATS GUILTY AND SHE HAS NO SHAME TO PUT IT OUT THERE IN THE PUBLIC EYE.

sharong4 said:
        April 18, 2013 at 9:27 AM

That is a good one. lol But it is the truth.

sodamgood said:
      April 19, 2013 at 8:18 PM

that not funny the boy somewhere out there find m he only 1 year old that not funny if u cant pray for them stop it what if your kid was out there like that no time for joke u can test her all u want not like test u

Sue said:
    April 17, 2013 at 5:13 PM

She sold him for drugs.

Todd Pardee said:
    April 17, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Yeah, the last thing 3 young men want is a little kid to attend to!

Danielle said:
    April 17, 2013 at 5:44 PM

This woman is a vile waste of skin. She knows darn well what happened to that baby because it either happened by her own hands or by someone she is covering for. Sadly any scumbag can have an egg fertilized and birth a child. As a mother myself I cannot fathom how she could let this happen to her child. Shame on her and may God have mercy on her lying soul.

Mrs Opinionated said:
    April 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I pray that they find the child safe and untouched ….. I want judge that woman because what’s done in the dark shall come to the light and the truth shall set him, her and whom ever else involved free!

Davesha said:
    April 17, 2013 at 6:14 PM

i do not understand why people who do something like this my prays go out to the family. hope the your child will be brought back safe and sound

Corrie said:
    April 17, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I read another article saying that poor child was beaten to death over potty training and then dumped in the river. God Bless that poor little angel, its so sad and infuriating

Maria said:
      April 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I really pray thats not true…something so ridiculous as pottie training, that's unthinkable and horrific. Why are so many little babies dying by the hands of a family member…no need for them to die or be harmed at all, but from a family member, someone who theyre suppose to feel safe and infinite love from is so depressingly sad. I despise hearing reports that involve the life of an innocent child. I'm sorry but I wish we had the death penalty here in Illinois. We need to clean up this country and fast…

sharong4 said:
      April 18, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Boys are harder to train than girls when it comes to potty training. If that child was killed because of something like that, at a year old, the mother and boyfriend both needs to be flogged. Send them to the front lines of death.

sodamgood said:
      April 19, 2013 at 8:12 PM

can u beleve that he die over he couldnt be potty train dont get that he is a 1year old boy he would have leran now it time they leran u dont kill kids

mg mystery girl said:
    April 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM

tons of misspelled words on a ton of different stories

kirby1414 said:
    April 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM

You have to go through a lot of paperwork, etc., to adopt a pet – - but, kids – - NOTHING!

kirby1414 said:
    April 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Thank you WGN for NOT posting my comment! Freedom of speech at WGN is dead – - AMEN!

somethingelsetothinkabout said:
    April 18, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Besides using trained trailing dogs to follow the path of the missing child, they should have been used to follow the boy's mother and boyfriend. In this case, if the trail of the child (God forbid) led to the river, and the same trail was duplicated with either or both the mother/boyfriend's scent, this might indicate foul play. This should be a standard use of specially trained scent-specific trailing dogs which more often than not, need to be brought in to compliment the use of traditional law enforcement dogs as well as search and rescue dogs.

Dig That said:
    April 18, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Take a moment and Pray. Father, please let young Bryeon be located by Authorities, let him be safe, unharmed and untouched. Father we ask that you place the child in the custody of a loving family, a god fearing family, which will raise this child to be a great man whose name is remember for a many many generations for the great positive changes he will make in life. Amen. Sometimes there is just really nothing else to do or say. For young Bryeon I pray, let his mother and her boyfriend and his father worry about their own souls they are grown.

sharong4 said:
      April 18, 2013 at 9:54 AM

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sodamgood said:
      April 19, 2013 at 8:17 PM

hey i pray for those who do wrong to cant just pray for 1 n not the other they r sick ppl but let god do what he have to do i trust n god n that lil boy i feel is till alive some where but they have to hurry up n find m soon trust me god spirirt is on me i feel they did some thing with m but what

IAMCONCERNED said:
    April 20, 2013 at 6:58 AM

I've been following this story since I first saw it on the news four days ago. I must say I feel as if I knew the child. My heart is broken and I do not understand who and why someone would harm a child. Children rely on their parents to keep them safe. I have to adult children and two grandchildren and there is no way that I'd waste time seeking help if they were in harms way. I just don't understand! I don't expect to ever make since of it, but this situation has saddened me. I'm remaining optimistic though it has been said that it is likely that baby Bryeon may be deceased. I'm frustrated, hurt, angered and confused. Where have we gone wrong?

Last weekend, I spent time with my grandchildren. My grandson is four and is just beginning to make since of the world around him and make connections. My granddaughter is 1.5 years and she is so adorable. She ran about the house exploring things. Each time I see them it is like a bright Christmas morning. With that being said, I phoned them yesterday to hear their voices and it only made me even sadder to know that the mother may miss these beautiful moments. Many have stated there beliefs, but at this point someone needs to reach out to the broken-hearted grandmother who's hoping for the best. If I could hug her, I do just that. Grandmother of baby Bryeon if you come across this post please know that I'm thinking of you and I empathize with your sadness. Again, let's allow the police to figure out what happened while we reach out to the family members who need support and comfort.

IAMCONCERNED said:
    April 20, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Sorry I meant two adult child not "to" shame on me:)

Wisconsinite said:
    April 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Just to correct your last sentence : not every person that has a child will be a parent to that child