Man, 19, fatally shot hours before daughter’s birthday party

A Chicago teen was shot and killed Saturday morning while the car he was riding in was stopped at a red light on the city’s North Side.

19-year-old Miguel “Mikey” Cancel was just weeks away from graduating from Taft High School.  Instead, his grandmother is now planning his funeral.

Cancel was shot in the head and killed while in the passenger seat of a car at Irving Park and the Kennedy Expressway about 2:30 a.m. Saturday.

His brother Carlos was driving at the time with friends in the back seat.  They were just leaving a club when Carlos says he saw a man from another car come up to the passenger side window at the intersection and started shooting.

“After he was done shooting, my little brother just fell into my lap and in my arms and he was unconscious, just looking up in the air.  My whole body was just filling up with blood.  I could feel it dripping all the way down to my feet,” Carlos said.

Carlos drove to nearby Norwegian hospital.  His brother mortally wounded and another male passenger shot in the thigh

Though the family says it was an unprovoked shooting, Chicago police have a different account.  They say that another male passenger was taunting the shooter’s car, a dispute between rival gangs.   They say Cancel was a gang member.

His family says it’s simply not true.

“He said this city is controlled by colors, by the way you wear your hats and he was tired of it,” Cancel’s grandmother said.  “He was tired of driving down the street and not doing anything and somebody would throw a gang sign. And you can’t live that way.  These kids are just terrified.”

His grandmother tells me Cancel was looking forward to college in Florida and his 2-year-old daughter’s birthday party which was  planned for Sunday.

101 Comments to “Man, 19, fatally shot hours before daughter’s birthday party”

Avoid teen pregnancy said:
    April 14, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Stating the obvious here. No mention of the dead kid's mother or father. Dead kid got a girl pregnant around age 16. With an infant daughter at home, he still decided to spend the night away from her at a nightclub. Older brother failed to impose any discipline on dead kid, and instead was the driver. Grandma wanted to take the kid to Florida, but no mention of the mother of the infant and what she wanted.

[[“He wanted to graduate so bad. He wanted to finally graduate and get himself together,” his grandmother Mirna Resto said.]]

Yeah. Avoiding teen parenthood is the first step toward getting yourself together.

Fed up said:
      April 14, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Avoid teen pregnancy AND don't be in a gang.

Juanderful said:
      April 14, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Wow…what a story. Better yet a nightmare. His family says " its simply not true",that he was a gang member…. What freakin family.? His grandmother, yeah ok, some family. !
      Another quiet night in Chitown

mama said:
        April 14, 2013 at 10:49 PM

All you foolish idiots regardless he was an 18 year old boy who got shot in the head and all you have to say is negative .. Your just as bad as these gangbangers woth no heart. If you have nothing nice to say . Keep your comments to your dam self .. Unsympathetic ass people

Bobby said:
        April 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM

SO just because the reporter didnt have a list of his family members he has no family? Oh… ok i see your logic

Dulce Ramos said:
      April 14, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Wow! The intolerance is sickening…as is the violence. I hope none of you people posting ever had sex as a teen without protection…cuZ if you did, you were just LUCKY!

I know too many kids that have been innocently shot, including little children playing in a park.

I'm not defending this guy. I know nothing about him. But I know when to defer judgement. Not necessary to be so nasty.

Sentinel said:
      April 14, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Disfunctional family to begin with. I'm pretty sure "he's turning he's life around and excited for college". Bet all grandmas of those thugs tell the same story!

WTE said:
        April 15, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Kind of like what you just did?

Pot meet kettle

Fed up said:
    April 14, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Well said!

Arjay said:
    April 14, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Better the "gangbangers" kill each other than innocent bystanders. One down,how many more to go?

Fed up said:
      April 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Still too many! Gangbangers breed gangbangers. It's a vicious circle.

Adios said:
      April 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Juan too many

April 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM

You are so sick.

Mannie21 said:
    April 14, 2013 at 6:51 PM

To be or not to be that is the question! Gangs

Gangs suck said:
    April 14, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Gangs….A dead end street. Bad things happen when your a gangbanger and out with yo fellow gangbangers at 2:30 in the morning.

United Front said:
    April 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Bathroom picture? Yes siree, a baby gangbanger. One down a million to go.

Rachel said:
      April 15, 2013 at 9:28 AM

OMG are you serious??? You are an idiot!! LOL my 10yr old takes pics in the mirror it's a new generation EVERYONE does it………& that does not confirm their future gang affiliation! Get a life!!!

trob said:
    April 14, 2013 at 7:28 PM

its sad kids are killing kids for nothing im not gonna say anything negative about it like so many other losers that post comments it's just sad

Fed up said:
      April 14, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Well trob, we post on here because we're sick and tired of Chicago being destroyed by these worthless creatures, so it's a way to vent. We're tired of Chicago looking like a violent ghetto to the rest of the nation. And, it's not sad. They do it to themselves. When you join a gang, you put an X on your back for other members to shoot. It's only sad when an innocent victim catches a stray bullet.

Clean up Chicago said:
        April 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM

No sorry. This guy was an MLD. Definitely a gang-member. Contrary to what his family says.

April 15, 2013 at 11:02 AM

You are so sick. I guess now that would make his daughter another applicant for welfare. How do u know the mother and grandmother doesn't work? Maybe he was trying to turn his life around. I know mine did. You need to sit down and rethink what your life could have been like if u lived in another area instead of always downing someone else.

Disgusted said:
        April 15, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Thank you for continually funding CPS via your taxes and helping educate the children in our area. We teach them to be compassionate and to carry integrity, despite your negative comments and deceitful connotations. We appreciate all you do FedUp. Truth is, you have a lot of time on your hands with all of your negative comments.. Looks like you too have nothing to do during the day. I suggest you work on that. Volunteer in some of these needy communities… BE THE CHANGE.. Dont just complain.

318mopar said:
    April 14, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Happy Birthday to the daughter for all it's worth.

Monoxide said:
    April 14, 2013 at 8:36 PM

It should be open season on gangsters, stack their carcasses high and burn them.

Monoxide said:
      April 14, 2013 at 8:37 PM

The word that was censored was C a r c a s s e s .

Tired of the Morons said:
        April 14, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Evidently they are too stupid to figure out the the letters a s s are in other words. Then again the way they proof read why be surprised. Cancel is a last name. Capitalize it morons.

Wisconsinite said:
    April 14, 2013 at 9:59 PM

So, what's the murder count up to so far for the year in Chicago ? I thought it was illegal to carry firearms in your fair city ? You people better start demanding the conceal carry law. I got mine but can't use it in Chicago so won't come there anymore with my tourist money and by the way a lot of more than me say the same thing

Vendetta said:
      April 15, 2013 at 6:57 AM

I fully agree. Living here is a death trap. I just want to protect myself and the ppl I love bc being unarmed isn't working.

Todd Pardee said:
      April 15, 2013 at 8:41 AM

You are not familiar with the city…..they have had a complete gun ban for over 30 years….yet still record gun violence

WTE said:
        April 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Yeah, and how well is that gun ban working?

You can thank the moron liberals

Wisconsinite said:
        April 15, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Exactly !

April 15, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I don't think we will miss u.

Wisconsinite said:
        April 15, 2013 at 11:37 PM

As a business owner I can tell you signed a payroll check in your lifetime. Tourism is going to dry up then stores will lay off employees or just close up shop completly. Yeah that's real good for your economy, lets just see how that's works for you

posterdude said:
    April 14, 2013 at 9:59 PM

True as usual!

Guest said:
      April 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM

What will you call it then, jerk?

Fed up said:
      April 15, 2013 at 9:39 AM

We won't let it close to home. We all did something's with our lives, so we don't have to live in the ghetto!

Darwin said:
      April 15, 2013 at 10:33 AM

jay, i honestly don't understand your post, please use better grammar so that the point your trying to make can be easily understood

uhH said:
        April 15, 2013 at 10:37 AM

you're**

If YOU'RE going to troll someone's grammar, make sure you are typing correctly as well.

DJ G CUE said:
    April 14, 2013 at 10:34 PM

For the record, you people that are commenting on this young man's passing negatively must not be from any neighborhood with gang violence. I myself am a 21 year old college student from humboldt park/logan square and had to deal with pointless violence that could have simply ended the same way that this poor kids situation ended. The city is just trying to cover up for all this gang violence by saying he was gang affiliated. They show a picture of him NOT throwing any type gang affiliated sign, how does that make him a gang member ?? Have more respect for his family !!!!

Wisconsinite said:
      April 14, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Wake up,not a conspiracy.2:30am can't think of much good happening at that time.

April 15, 2013 at 11:08 AM

U must have never been young.

Wtf? said:
        April 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM

CPS= Gang affiliated
        out at 2:30am = gang affiliated
        young parent= gang affiliated?

makes sense ……….. seriously? You are all pathetic

mayaguezana said:
      April 15, 2013 at 7:28 AM

you tell them cause thats the same way i grew up leaving my house frighting from all the shootin were was a cop when neede one we could got in shot n just if i was dress black n blua i was a diciple o black n yellow a queen cause thats all the cop would look foru could not match u had to go like rainbow bright to school

Darwin said:
        April 15, 2013 at 8:34 AM

nice grammar

Fed up said:
        April 15, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Apparently, she went to CPS.

whocares said:
        April 15, 2013 at 8:50 AM

what????????????????

April 15, 2013 at 11:10 AM

What is wrong with CPS? I went to CPS and have a BA in English.

Tired of the Morons said:
        April 15, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Please add an English translation.

Todd Pardee said:
      April 15, 2013 at 8:45 AM

You are right! I am not from an area that has gang violence. I come from an area that will not tolerate their streets being taken over by gang bangers. We have police here that actually do their job of protecting the citizens from that. You don’t drive down the streets here and see gang bangers hanging on corners selling dope and ho’s! How come I can see this when I visit the city, but apparently the police cannot because they are still out there o. The same corners

Trish said:
      April 15, 2013 at 8:54 AM

that's chicango to you

T Walter said:
      April 15, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I have to agree. Getting on here judging is not solving the problem. Teen preganancy has been a problem for over 30 years. I am in my 40's it was a problem in the 80's. We have several problems here. Poverty, teen pregancy, no gun controls, gangs, drugs, etc etc etc. We can all get on here and blame someone else and be disrespectful. At the end of the day we have a deceased young man, someone's son and someone's dad and we have a killer. I am tired of reading disrespectful comments. BE GLAD that YOU DID IT ALL RIGHT and ARE Perfect. Be glad you did not have to grow up in a crime ridden neighborhood. Easy to judge be a part of the solution. Negativity is not working out so well.

April 15, 2013 at 11:17 AM

You said it all and God Bless You. Now you have to think about a Fatherless child who will never ever see her father. Not because he left her, but because he was killed and left her.

maa said:
        April 15, 2013 at 4:07 PM

he was a know gang member from insane unknowns. Not that i agree with gang banging but it's a terrible life to live.

BLAHHH said:
        April 15, 2013 at 7:07 PM

He was an insane unknown.??!!!!!.. You SOUND INSANE!!! AGAIN. HANG YOURSELF.

Fed up said:
    April 14, 2013 at 10:50 PM

The truth comes out!

maa said:
      April 15, 2013 at 3:56 PM

It looks like a gang name insane unknown or something definitely a gang. one of those guys comment that they were going to run a hs call taft

blah!!! said:
        April 15, 2013 at 7:02 PM

you are so ignorant! he was into music…its his MUSIC name. HANG YOURSELF.

Based said:
    April 14, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Why would the idiot drive all the way down to Division St. to Norweigan Hospital when Our Lady Of Resurrection is10 minutes away from where it happened.

bobhamiltonchicago said:
      April 14, 2013 at 11:28 PM

That's what I was wondering. The reporter even said it was nearby, but the reporters, I'm discovering don't have a clue. Apparently neither do their editors or proofreaders, if they even have any. I'm thinking Norwegian bought or merged with one of the smaller hospitals like the old Belmont Community or Thorek. The death of this kid is very sad. I really hope the Chicago Police catch the little wannabe thuggie. The public has to step up and help out.

April 15, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Sometimes people just panic and go to the places that they are most familiar with.

Kyle said:
    April 15, 2013 at 12:03 AM

I had three classes with Mikey at school this year. He was a down to earth, respectful, and humble guy who had a bright future ahead of him. It's too bad that some people are so ignorant to say mean things about him. I will miss you man. School won't be the same without you. RIP MIKEY

Trish said:
      April 15, 2013 at 8:55 AM

To bad an underage kid with a kid as at a club at 2:30 in the am………said 19 not 21

sharon said:
    April 15, 2013 at 1:23 AM

I think its a shame whenever any one gets killed.Gang related or not. To the person who does not want to come to Chicago ,GOOD,we have enough people here ,stay where your at. my condolence to the family

Brenda said:
    April 15, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Lighting a candle for his daughter and grandmother.

Rachel said:
      April 15, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Amen…..

April 15, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Saying a prayer for the family.

retiredinaz1 said:
    April 15, 2013 at 6:35 AM

Maybe I am becoming a bit "colder" but when it comes to another gang-banger being killed, I say "Who Cares?". This guy, a father at age 18, WAS A GANG MEMBER! 'LIVE BY THE SWORD – DIE BY THE SWORD". Of course the family will side with how he had changed his life around, was not affiliated with any gangs, etc, etc, etc. Live up to the fact that he WAS a banger…….and when you are in one, you take a chance on not only being killed but also hurting the ones you love. Enough said….I have NO sympathy!

A Chicago Mother said:
    April 15, 2013 at 7:08 AM

I did not know his young man but I do know his grandmother. No matter what he did she deserves our condolence. After all she has lost a person that she loved with all her heart.

Disgusted said:
      April 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM

you have no clue. Trish, and the rest of you fools for that matter.. Please educate yourselves before spreading more evil and negativity in the air.. Whom are you suggesting living off "banging money" and what exactly is this that you speak of…Lived in humboldt park all of my life, and have yet to find a gang banger getting paid for being on the streets. This woman worked hard all her life, and loves her grandkids. Dont be so quick to judge.

maria cmpos said:
      April 15, 2013 at 1:46 PM

i agreed with you, regardless of the situation. enough is enough. may the lord god comfort & ease his grandmother & family heartache & suffering. we need to pray for these young ppl to walk down the rigtous path & we need to show them there is more to life instead of the drugs & the street living!!! god bless all our children. may the lord be with all. my deepest condolences. R.I.P.

Disgusted said:
        April 15, 2013 at 4:01 PM

We need to take the city in our own hands and stop hiding behind prayer and churches. This hasnt changed anything and things continuously get worse. Sometimes God needs people who are about ACTION.. not just silent prayers. While they are appreciated, and bring some comfort.. Action and activism is what this City needs. REAL people who are REALLY fed up and WANT to see a change..These young men too have issues.. Find where the real problem is.

mayaguezana said:
    April 15, 2013 at 7:22 AM

i grew up in chicago n thats the way it runs by color i went to clemente high school how many times did i get stop because of my colors never was in a gang thats ywhen i had my kids decided to move to another state to give my kids a better livebut no matter were u go i know lots of friends n family members in chicago they been hurt or died cause they were inoccent bystander this need to stop there is no need for this this people have kids n families my prayers go out to the family sorry for ur lost

maa said:
      April 15, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I agree it needs to stop but you can't say with a straight face that none of your relative or friends are part of a gang in one way or another. Everyone has a cousin, brother, uncle, friend. No one says anything to them about them being part of this problem directly or indirectly

RIP MIKEY said:
    April 15, 2013 at 9:09 AM

The ignorance of these comments are repulsive. You guys are heartless. Just because he was a young kid, wasn't white or wealthy, it's automatically gang related? That no matter what, HE DESERVES TO DIE? That any family should suffer or grieve or mourn as much as the family has, and experience the amount of injustice and disrespect that they have been given? A boy who had a two year old daughter, regardless of what age he was when she was born. A boy who was going t get his diploma and go to college to make a living to support her. To get out of these sterotypes, to get away from the colors and hats and these types of things. A boy who was loved by his family, friends, teachers, peers and who he all loved back. Say what you wish but he never deserved this. RIP MIkey. WE LOVE YOU.

maa said:
      April 15, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I know this is hard for people to believe but if you associate with known gangbangers, you are bound to get hurt. It happens all the times. It sucks but it's the reality. Can't preach on one hand how a good kid he was and then on the other hand know that he hangs out with a gang unkowns or something like it. Can't have it both ways.

ASHLEY said:
    April 15, 2013 at 9:11 AM

WHETHER OR NOT SOMEONE IS IN A GANG IT IS UNMORALLY RIGHT FOR ANYONE TO SAY THEY HAVE NO SYMPPATHY. WHY WRITE ON HERE THEN? HE WAS 19 WITH A BABY GIRL! WHO CARES IF HE WAS A TEEN DAD HE TOOK CARE OF HIS DAUGHTER EVEN THOUGH HE AND THE MOTHER WERENT TOGETHER! LOOK AT HIS SCHOOL RECORD NO GANG BANGER WOULD GO TO SCHOOL FAITHFULLY FOR WHAT? HIS NAME ON FB WAS HIS RAP NAME HE WAS VERY MUCH INTO BEATS AND RAPPING ABOUT REAL LIFE SITUATIONS. IT IS HARD FOR ANY YOUNG TEEN TO GROW UP IN CHICAGO SOLO, MY THREE BROTHERS HAVE BEEN ROBBED AT GUN POINT FOR A PHONE AND FIVE DOLLARS WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU ABOUT LIVING IN CHICAGO! NOT EVERYONE NEEDS TO BE IN A GANG TO FEEL WORTHY. LOSERS DIDNT YOUR MOM TEACH YOU IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL. RIP MIKEY MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ALWAYS<3

April 15, 2013 at 11:39 AM

You go Girl!!!!!! Tell it lik it is.

maddmen24 said:
    April 15, 2013 at 9:12 AM

u aint seen nothing yet.jus wait.warmer weather means more crime.and if u live in the city and think it wont happen to u .U BETTA THINK AGAIN.i been shot twice.in 2 seperate incidents.before i got the point now i live n peace n harmonny..u people r living n hell.u just dont no it.or jus dont care.the young folks call chicago .chiraq.PLEASE WAKE UP PEOPLE

retiredinaz1 said:
    April 15, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I do feel sorry and pray for his daughter…I DO NOT mourn his death….I have had my share of run-ins with these idiotic gang-bangers and as far as I am concerned, this is one less gang member to fill up Chicago's jails with…..less burden on the tax payers. I get so sick and tired of family members and friends saying how "he had turned his life around, how he was going to go to college, and all that other bull"……..talk to the victims of his own gang-related beatings and shootings…..yeah, gang members are indeed a positive force in our society….give me a break!

the truth hurts said:
    April 15, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but arent you supposed to be 21 or over to be out clubbing? This kid was what 19? Nothing good ever happens after midnight, was he clubbing under age or hanging around outside the club selling illegal products? I'm not buying the good boy turning life around, church on Sunday story.

TRUTH said:
      April 15, 2013 at 11:19 AM

No some clubs are 18 to enter but 21 to drink. There are many clubs in Chicago that allow 18 year olds in.

April 15, 2013 at 10:28 AM

That is just cruel.

TRUTH said:
    April 15, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Clearly the people who are saying he was a gang banger and deserved it DO NOT LIVE IN CHICAGO. Like many others have said Chicago is all about colors. If you have on the wrong color in the wrong place, there is a good chance you will be confronted or targeted no matter what you are doing. Some of you are really ignorant and don't have a clue about what the world is really like in some places.

April 15, 2013 at 11:44 AM

There seems to be some truth to colors and in N.Y. and CA. Why pick on Chicago?

Marilyn said:
    April 15, 2013 at 11:42 AM

This person has family, I am a relative who has lived in this Hell on earth Called Chicago, this was a place I was born into and know very well, I give Glory and honor to God for having mercy on me and getting me out of this city. I was also a single parent of 3 by the age of 21 due to their father being shot and killed by another gang member. Gang member or not no one deserves to be gunned down and killed like an animal. No one has the right to take another's life except for God who gave it. This is something that has gone on for decades in this City. Matthew 12.:25 A city or household divided against itself will not stand, the results of a city divided is what we see here !!! Some of these comments further support the living word of God ! I pray father in Jesus name for your peace over this city and everyone who reads this, Don't let your hearts be harden but show compasion and love for one another !!! There is a higher power watching down on us who judges us according to his ways and understanding not ours.

April 15, 2013 at 11:42 AM

You racist B _ _ _H. Why do they always have to be black. I bet your decendants were slave owners.

Ina said:
    April 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM

You people are sick. You talk about how he was a "gang banger" and he "deserved" it. WOW, you people are what's wrong with society. Being born into a Hispanic or Black family automatically makes you a target because that is the stereotype, most people want to drive away from that stereotype. Alot of people get caught in the cross fire, that does NOT make them a gang banger or affiliated with gang bangers. Just because you grew up in a wealthy family does not make it ok for you to down upon someone else. You are all saying sickening things about this boy, gang violence, but truthfully, are any of you actually willing to do anything about the gang violence? I bet you not. So stop feeling important because your "tax payer" money helps fund prisons, you don't know what the government really does with your money. Rest In Peace to Mikey Cancel, i'm sure many people loved you and will truly miss you.

maa said:
      April 15, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Let me ask, so you don't have a brother, cousin, uncle or friends that are known gangbangers? If you do, have you talk to them about them being part of the problem? Because they are part of this problem, directly or indirectly. You have to start snitching on them, that's a start.

Wisconsinite said:
        April 15, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Right on Maa

gilroque said:
    April 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I can't believe everything i'm reading.we have become cold as ice.I grew up in chicago and in humboldt park.never,ever did i have a problem with gangbangers.yes i knew plenty of them but the respect they had for what i was trying to do with my life brought nothing but hand shakes and smiles.maybe because it was the 70's and 80's i don't know but they respected that i was trying.there's just no respect at all today,,AT ALL for student's who are trying to make it,sad.God Bless this young man's child and family Bless them all.

Instakarma said:
    April 15, 2013 at 2:58 PM

WGN, you censored the a s s in a s s umed, really? lol

maa said:
    April 15, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Everyone talks about gang problems like it is someone's else problem but yet they fail to look at friends and see that they are also part of the problem. It's a never ending cycle that we are part of whether we like it or not. We all know someone who is a gang member within our circles either be a bro, cuz, uncle or a friend. Yet no one ever tells them anything nor how they are part of this problem. We all think that our friends are the "good" gang bangers but we are in denial.

Benji correa said:
    April 15, 2013 at 5:05 PM

What The hell is wrong with all Of You..mikey was In my gym class and he was a cool dude..he was a good friend and we’re all gonna miss him

Student said:
    April 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM

What is wrong with you people? gang banger or not he is still a human being and a human being being killed is not okay. The broadcast clearly said that they don't know whether or not he was a gang member but you all take into assumption that he was. Unless you know him personally you have no right to judge him, he had his whole life ahead of him and he was working to make something of himself while here you are bashing on someone that isn't even living. He clearly cared for his daughter and he made a point to be there for her and just because he chose to go out ONE night doesn't signify that he's a bad dad, because just like you deserve one night to do something fun so did he. His night ended differently then it should have and instead of speaking ill of the dead why don't you grow up and show some respect. And what does being a part of CPS have to do with anything?! How does him being a CPS student suddenly make him a gang member because if that were the case most of Chicago's population would be overrun with gang bangers, and I take many of you that are from Chicago probably went to CPS schools. It takes common sense to know that being a part of CPS has nothing to do with gang affiliation.

kailani said:
    April 16, 2013 at 3:32 PM

You guys wanna talk disrespectful about Mikey.? Shame on ya'll. Mikey wasn't a gang banger. He was a loving father, a good friend, and had a plan. How are you guys gonna talk bad about a young man thats leaving behind his family and friends. You guys dont know anything about him so who are you to judge?! That doesnt make you better than anyone.
    RIP Mikey.<3
    Katie lives through you

BABY BOO said:
    April 23, 2013 at 8:41 AM

RIP MIKEY! The Meida always makes up stories… Your forever in our hearts.

Jack said:
    April 26, 2013 at 4:41 AM

I'm going out on a limb here to say he wasn't quite ready to change his life yet. Less than 9 months ago, he was charged with domestic battery. Doesn't mean he was in a gang, but sure does show prior evidence to violent behavior.

This happened a couple blocks from my house, and although tragic, I don't want this gang violence continuing to ooze into my neighborhood. They probably drove down to the Norwegian hospital because they're from Humboldt park and had no reason to be up in here in the first place.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to ditch the car full of bangers following them because someone in the car said something stupid that they shouldn't have. Although he was a little young for drinking, if they just came back from a club it wouldn't be too far fetched to assume alcohol was involved.

My condolences to the family, but someone should've prevented that kid from acting stupid. Now his daughters gotta suffer a life time without a father. And the cycle continues.

Marcus Thomas said:
    April 14, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I went to school with him, he sat at my lunch table, you know what's wrong with you? you're just plain ignorant. we all have our flaws, I know 36 year olds who leave there kids off on someone so they can enjoy a simple night, he did work hard in school. He was a very bright kid. He would always shed light upon people who were around him/knew him. I lost a close friend… and I will truly miss him. as for you? I hope god sees the words you type/speak… and remembers it for when you happen to pass at some point in your life, and have karma hit you… why don't we just not judge, and carry on okay?

Tired of the Morons said: