Store owner who fought armed robber: ‘It was really very scary’

A Chicago man is recovering tonight after not only surviving a shooting in his store during a robbery but also fighting back.  And the whole melee was caught on tape.

Surrounded by family and friends, Luis Quizhpe prepared to go home after spending a day in the hospital recovering from a gunshot wound to his leg.

The 62-year-old talked from his hospital bed about his terrifying  encounter with two armed men at the store he owns in Logan Square.

“It was really very scary,” he said.

Around 5:30 last night, two men walked into Luis’ souvenir shop.  One pulled out a gun and pointed  it at Luis’ brother-in-law and demands cash. The other man ran around the counter to the register.

“He started screaming, I don’t remember exactly what, but he was like ‘Kill them!’ “ Luis said.

Luis grabbed a bat and started swinging as the robber continued shooting.  At one point, he accidentally shoots his accomplice, who later limps out of the store.

One of the bullets hit Luis in the upper inner thigh, nearly hitting a major artery.

Luis’ brother-in-law also fought back, throwing a chair at one of the men and then  a fire extinguisher as he ran out of the store.

Luis says he’s just thankful to be alive.

“I want to thank the Lord Jesus Christ because for some reason he still has left me here,” he said.

14 Comments to “Store owner who fought armed robber: ‘It was really very scary’”

Wisconsinite said:
    April 10, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Luis should have the right to have a gun in his store. If the perps are caught think they will pay his medical expenses

Mike Payne said:
    April 10, 2013 at 10:51 PM

NO – BUT the "Mayor" and the "Governor" should pay his Medical Expenses because of their DUMB-AZZED "No Concealed Carry – Let the Thugs KILL YOU" Policy.

kirby1414 said:
    April 10, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Too bad he didn't beat these 2 insane cowards to death…

JAKE said:
    April 10, 2013 at 11:37 PM

He should sue the city for his damges since it is illegal to own a gun in his store.

bobhamiltonchicago said:
    April 10, 2013 at 11:45 PM

That store is as much in Logan Square as it is Times Square. The store guys in the video are my new heroes.

Esco said:
    April 10, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I worry they'll come back for revenge. I hope I'm wrong..

Common Sense said:
    April 11, 2013 at 2:17 AM

I agree 100% with Jake. He should sue the city.

An owner of a swimming pool can be successfully sued for negligence when a child wanders into their private yard and drowns because a fence wasn't constructed around the pool.

Which is more negligent behavior, not constructing a fence around an entertainment area, or denying 2nd Amendment rights clearly outlined in the Bill of Right? The city and all the administrators should be personally liable for willful, intentional and gross personal negligence.

They are an accomplice, contributor and enabler to criminals in Chicago and in this case attempted murder.

Trish said:
    April 11, 2013 at 5:35 AM

I'm glad he survived and fought back, and if those idiots dare to return I hope he shoots them with his illegal weapon then pleads insanity

ArmBears said:
    April 11, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Cowards, That is what they are. They are lucky I wasn’t there as a customer or I would have gone all Rambo on them with my legal switch blade.

Phil McCrackin said:
    April 11, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Chicago needs more gun laws, taxes, and welfare if it wants to beat Detroit, LA, and DC in the race down the libtard toilet. You’re well ahead of the rest of Amerika but thanks for your “Community Organizer” as he’s trying to flush us too.

jim said:
    April 11, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Sue the city for not allowing guns for self protection.

frankie said:
    April 11, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Luis should have a gun in his shop that would make the criminal think twice.

Cecilia said:
    April 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM

That’s why you should start voting for Republicans. The Democrats don’t care about the people’s right’s. I am a Democrat and I vote who I feel will do the job for our country. And I did not vote for Obama he is a nobody. He never accomplish anything and breaking all the laws. He does not care about our right’s and trying to change our constitution. But if the owner would have had a gun he could have shot those cowards. God was watching over him. Obama needs to be impeach. We need our guns.