Chicago police officer dead after rape accusation

A 26-year veteran of the Chicago Police Department who was the subject of an investigation was found dead Wednesday morning.

Police confirm officer Edgar Neal, 48, died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

On Tuesday night, a 17-year-old girl came with her family to Area South police headquarters alleging Neal raped her at his South Side home early Sunday morning.  She was allegedly taken there by the off-duty cop and one of her friends, another 17-year-old girl.

The high school junior says she woke up and Officer Neal was sexually assaulting her.

“She was in the bedroom with her friend,” said a relative of the victim who didn’t want to be identified.  “And he ended up coming into the bedroom and he asked her, ‘Are you going to go along with it’.”

She told her teacher Tuesday who called police.

The teen was examined at Roseland Hospital and then went to Area South, along with the other teenager, where she was questioned by detectives and internal affairs.

Chicago police only issued a statement saying “We cannot comment on an ongoing internal investigation.”

The victim’s family says the teenager is showing remorse.

“(The victim) asked if she was the cause of him killing himself and her mother told her it wasn’t her fault,” said a relative.

56 Comments to “Chicago police officer dead after rape accusation”

sharong4 said:
    April 4, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Something sounds fishy. Where was the other girlfriend? Why was she asleep in his home? The main thing is why was he asking her if she was going to do this? She shouldn't have been in his place in the first place unless she was visiting his daughter. It doesn't say whether or not the friend was his daughter.

kia said:
      April 5, 2013 at 10:37 PM

i know neal personally and i am also i teen and he never tryed anything wit me..i am sure she knew wat she was doing. if she aint want it she should have not been there at all. she maybe just wanted sum money. neal was a nice funny person. r.i.p

chocolate said:
    April 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Something does not sound right. I have known this officer many years. I even dated him in my younger years. I don't mean to sound cold but I truly believe that girl went there with full intent on having some kind of relationship with him. He was the paid to play type of guy. Why on Gods green earth is a 17 yr old drinking and even trying to hang out with adult men anyway. Young women were always drawn to him, I was at the tender age of 19. He had charm, and was a very outgoing and caring person. Hate that he just did not face his accuser

twrigh3 said:
      April 4, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Are you fxcking kidding me chocolate? It's sad, disgusting, useless women like you that enable the horrible rape culture that exists today! I'm not here to question whether this young woman was a saint or a sinner, but from the looks of it this guy had an affinity for teenage girls. Stop victim blaming! ESPECIALLY when we're talking about a COP!!! He knew better, and rather than face the consequences, he made his own. What's worse is that we'll never know if there were other victims

Todd Pardee said:
      April 4, 2013 at 10:56 AM

He was a paid to play kind of guy?
      Sounds like a pedophile cop to me! How many more victims will come forward.

Rochelle329 said:
      April 5, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Ive known him for many years also.I have never known him to do anything of the such. He was my rock. Something is not right with this picture. I asked the same question, y were they there and where is the other girl?

Dianne said:
      April 18, 2013 at 3:41 AM

There is some innocence left in today's youth for your information. Everyone teen is not sexual active nor ready for sex. I run a decent household and sex nor dating isn't a issue or priority. He's a sick man to force himself on her while she was asleep, and her so called friend (another victim) lured her there probably telling her to hang out. So I believe her without a doubt. I can't believe some people are so freaking naive not to take her side.

truth said:
    April 4, 2013 at 10:18 AM

dude is scumbag and so are you, chocolate.

truth said:
    April 4, 2013 at 10:19 AM

what doesn't sound right is this: why would an innocent man kill himself? the answer: men don't kill themselves over something like this when they're innocent.

WhiteSavior said:
    April 4, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Best news of the day so far…like they say…'only a dead pig is a good pig".

Darwin said:
      April 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM

ur a scumbag

Darwin said:
        April 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM

S C U M

joe said:
      November 6, 2013 at 8:46 AM

You don't matter in this world, go back under the rock you came from!

Charlie harvin said:
    April 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM

That shit crazy however you look at it she know What was going on it was plan from jump

deb said:
    April 4, 2013 at 11:36 AM

The devil is having a bargain day special 'three for the price of one'. It's amazing how many family can be drug through the mud as a result of one wrong move!

jeff said:
      April 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM

your path is chosen wisely,,,,,, attitude will devour your soul for eternity

Guest said:
    April 4, 2013 at 11:52 AM

soo why where these kids at his house again??????? Im confused where the parents of these teens

sharong4 said:
      April 4, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Exactly!!!!!!!!! I'm not saying the man is innocent, but if these young girls were at his house, they were there for a reason. Maybe they felt safe with him being a cop. NOT!!!!!!!!!!! They knew what could go down.

RED APPLE said:
    April 4, 2013 at 12:12 PM

SOMETIMES SOME PEOPLE ARE UP HELD AS STAND UPISH,, PEOPLE THAT ARE ABOVE OTHERS,,, CHILDREN OF A MOTHER THAT HAS SUCCESSES,,, GOOD FAMILY VALUES,, NO PERIVOUS MISHAPS,,, THAT WE KNOW ABOUT PUBLICLY,,, INTELLIGENT BLACK MEN,,, THE GOOD CAREERS,, GODLY,, MOTIVATIONS,,, THEN TO HUMILATED THE FAMILY,,, BY MEDIA,, BY PRESS,,, HOW CAN YOU FACE THE FAMILY,,, THESE TYPE OF ACCUSATIONS,,, ALREADY LIVING A WILD SEX FILL LIFE WHO WOULD HONESTLY SUPPORT ME,,,, I WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE FOR HIM JUST TO SAY WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS,,, NO BODY IS LOOKING AT THIS 17 YEAR OLD GIRL DRESSED UP WITH GOOD SMELLING PERFUMES,, AND POUNDS OF MAKE UP,, DRINK ALCOHOL,, ASKING TO SPEND THE NIGHT WITH A FRIEND AT HIS HOUSE,,, AND THESE ARE NOT FAMILY,,, AND HE HIS OFF DUTY,,, AND WE ALL INTOXICATED,,, BUT MOTHER WHERE WERE SHE WHEN ALL THIS IS HAPPENING,,, WHERE IS SHE,,, BUT NOW SHE'S HERE,,, WHERE IS THE PARENT OF THE PERSON THAT SHOT AND KILLED THAT 6 MONTH OLD CHILD,,, I BET WHEN THEY ARREST HIM SHE WILL SHOW UP THEN,,,, YES STATUTORY RAPE IS WRONG,,, BUT ITS NOT FAR FOR A CHILD TO COME INTO A STRANGERS HOUSE AND STRIP NAKED SLEEP IN HIS BED,, AND NOT THINKING SHE MIGHT INTICE HIM,,, BECAUSE SHE NEVER SAID HE RIPPED HER CLOTHES OFF,, HE JUST GOT ON HER AND PENATRATED HER,,,,

Darwin said:
      April 4, 2013 at 2:01 PM

you sound very intelligent

Guestfortoday said:
      April 4, 2013 at 7:05 PM

…huh?

Rochelle329 said:
      April 5, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Those girls knew what they were in for when they walked through the door. I wish I was there for my friend also. I wish he was stronger and like u I wouldve told him I will b by his side through all this because he was by my side when I needed someone to lean on

Dr. No said:
    April 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Another black eye for the police department.

Hitman said:
    April 4, 2013 at 12:42 PM

This punk cop gives police officers a bad name. It is obvious, he 's a bad cop. Was his wife good enough for him? He wanted a kid. Paid the play? He should have paid a prostitute. Hell, he's a cop!!! They should be able to get it free from prostitutes. What a punka$$!!!

Deb said:
    April 4, 2013 at 3:28 PM

There are always two sides to any story, his side will never be told as he apparently took the cowards way out and the only tale to be told now is from the young woman and her family and whatever she told them which is probably not the entire truth about what really went on behind closed doors. Such a horrible, sorry, sad ending to any life. I think we miss the whole picture trying to blame one person for this senseless tragedy as it is always a tragedy when a life is lost. As life is the most precious thing any of us own we should treasure it always and treat everyday as it is our last, it may be. Deb

BabyGirl951 said:
    April 4, 2013 at 3:48 PM

There will always be a lot of unanswered questions because he killed himself. Only ppl who know whats happened is the cop, those two girls, n god. Why were they there. Where was the kids parents. Why was they spending the night. Do they know him. Was it sex and then mom found out and claimed rape. At the end of the day the girls should have been at home and nowhere near him….

Mrs. Franklin said:
    April 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Let me tell you all I live in Chicago and I am an educator and everyone new officer neal …. And if you knew officer neal you knew he had a thing for teenage girls…. So if she did set him up he should've refused to help her but these girls knew that mans weakness…. I know of girls who received laptops from him money from him…. He was taking young girls home in the back of the police car…. He only assists himself to young girls and he was out and about with it…. On the south side it wasn't know secret about officer neal…. He killed himself because he was guilty… Not just for that but other girl he had sex with too they just didnt think of it as molestation because he probably threw money their way…. Neal use to come up to the school I worked at bring food for the teenage girls… Not in my class because I don't play that ish…. If it ain't your parent don't knock on my door…. But I would be surprise if it was a disease floating around and he found out and killed himself too…. I agree the girl shouldn't have been at his home but he was grown…. Waaaaay grown… Neal was an immature 23 year old he was in his 40's he knew what time it was why those girls feel that comfortable coming to your house whenever? Where's his wife? Oh yeah she's divorcing him anyway

Mz.Reesie said:
      April 5, 2013 at 8:21 AM

You're the only one speaking sense on here it's a shame that everyone wants to point their finger @ a child bottom line we all know she had no business being there, that was evident but the fact of the matter is this if he wasn't guilty why the hell did he kill himself hmmm let me see maybe because she told him she was going to report his tail shame on these individuals who are blaming the girl we are make mistakes and we all try to act like we're grown at the age so you haven't and that would be a ball faced lie…Thank You MRS. FRANKLIN for keeping it 100

WOWWWWWWWW said:
      June 13, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Educator huh? wow our children are truly in trouble. This grammar is hideous! MY MY MY!

Mrs. Franklin said:
    April 4, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I would not be surprise if there was a disease spreading…..they had the nerve to have counselors at some of the high schools to talk about officer neal…. For what? He killed himself and the girl probably attends the schools they crying over him at this man probably screwed half the girls at this high school…. He doesn't have kids so why are their counselors at schools for a cop who killed himself for rape?

Lewis said:
    April 4, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Some people just don’t know what happened I am his God daughter & the girl was my friend she didn’t come to his house for sex came and got her wasn’t going to his house she didn’t know nothing about him she didn’t know he was a cop so why all y’all talking about he was a good man he was having sex with y’all to I know I did the wrong thing I just wanted him to tell the truth about it I just hope she is ok from all this

Lewis said:
      April 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM

She was just going to get picked up and took home nothing else was going to happen I’m so sorry that it had to happen this way & end this way that was my friend and bow because of something that me and my dad did we can’t be friends I just want her to heal from this

Lewis said:
    April 4, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I swear I didn’t wish fr this to happen the way it did I just hope we can go move on from tgis

Renee said:
    April 4, 2013 at 11:12 PM

He knew better ….. that's why he took his life, which is also wrong,. Man Up! If anybody knew better he did…. stop trying to make it to be the victims fault, Speak Out and expose their indecency! Thank God he didn't have kids especially girls cause their vaginas wouldn't be safe around him. Thanks to the police officers that took this complaint and pursued it and not sweep it under the rug. I commend the Chicago Police Department because its not an easy job for them but they did their jobs even if it means going after one of their own……. Much Respect!!!

no name said:
      April 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Thank you that statement it means a lot, it was very difficult to have to report one of your brothers but wrong is wrong, it was even harder to hear that he took his life. May God Bless the victim(s) and be with them. I pray that the victim(s) find peace and can grow and become productive people! I won't judge that's Gods job,

Mrs Franklin said:
    April 5, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Lewis sweety I'm a teacher at one of the high schools he would frequent and he use to always call the girls who was close to him his god daughters so I think you need to change your relationship… That's nice that you are wishing the girl well but I'm really hoping you weren't the o ne who took that girl to the mans home in the first place…. I hope you're ok also

mrs Franklin said:
    April 5, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I'm think this too because we all know officer Neal called these girls his god daughters…. Why all these teen girls coming out saying how good this man was…. Where's the young men, where's his colleagues to vouch for him, where's his wife? All I see and hear are 17, 18, and 19 year old girls vouching and crying

Afroamerican said:
      April 5, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I can’t believe this , I can’t get this situation out my mind ! I can’t get his face out my mind! It hurts that Neal had a double life … What is really sick is that his job was to serve and protect ! Shame on you Neal , wish you would have listen to the discussion we would have about god ! Now you see there really is a god ! May god have mercy on your soul ! I pray for your family ! Smh! Your smile lit up the room , your wrongs of encourage … Inner peace was all you talked about … What happens Neal to those words! #sadden by this all …

lexis said:
    April 5, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Yes he was having sex with me for a very long time and I did take her ultimate his house I didn’t know all that was going to happen she wasn’t down with of it we should have stopped

Tay said:
    April 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM

This is so sadden all together she knew what her friend was about now becasue yall trying to get a nut this man took his life. May God have mercy on all yall souls.

Afroamerican said:
    April 5, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Such a same ! I knew office Neal ! It’s sad , I really feel bad for these young girl ! I’m shock he took he’s life… I’m not shock about the girls! Charming yes he was, freaky hell yea, rap , really left a bad taste in my mouth… I’m sad , it had to end this was! What where you thinking Neal! Really ! You always have me good advice ! Turns out you are the weak one smdh!

Dee said:
    April 5, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Wow, 48 years old. What was his problem? Couldn't he find someone his age to hang with?

PSA said:
      April 6, 2013 at 11:11 PM

NOT TIGHT ENOUGH

PSA said:
    April 6, 2013 at 11:10 PM

So long to another poor excuse of a man and an officer or the LAW. A permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Joyce said:
    April 7, 2013 at 12:04 AM

It's between "The Dead and Living". So, many people have been so deeply affected. It always, so many questions to such a terrible problem. And, yes was it a sleep over with these girls and his daughter(s). Or, was the parents crazy enough to believe he was "Mentoring" these young girls?

My mom had a saying when I was a little girl: "A HARD D…. HAS NO CONSCIOUS" It took me Thirty-Five plus years to know what it really meant. And, it is so…..True!

Or, did this Officer, developed one to late.

Prayingforpeace said:
    April 7, 2013 at 1:33 PM

It's really saddens me to read these post. I will not criticize anyone for speaking their truth. I really feel for the victim or victims. This is something that may haunt her for the rest of her life. prayers are needed. We've all been teenagers and there are things that we may have done that only us and God knows about so let's not be so quick to judge. As for Officer Neal, you may not ever understand this if you didnt know him but he was a good person. A good person with issues, habits, demons that he was no longer able to fight. Again, some of us have issues, habits and demons that we fight with daily so let's not be so quick to judge. Those who knew "that" side of him why didn't anyone speak up to the girls? No one wants to get involved until its too late. Those who knew or had suspicion should have spoken up on behalf of the girls. Mandated reporters, you know already. How do you see something strange everyday and say nothing, to the right people anyway. There is always gossip to others but that doesn't help the that helpless child who doesn't know how to help themselves. Many lives have been lost because the victim (s) will never be the same, those who didn't open their mouths will live with regret and Neal , R.I.P maybe now you have Inner Peace. May God give the victim(s) peace and strength to go on.

Missing Neal said:
    April 8, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I am a family member of Neal and all of this is a shock to us. To Mrs. Franklin, if you knew about him having sex with the high school girls, why didn't you report it? The man we knew was a good man and for the so call god daughter that took the girl over there, if he was having sex with you, what were your intentions in bringing your friend over? Our hearts goes out to the victim, but his family will never know what happened because he is gone! No, he didn't have kids, but he had a mother, brothers, sisters, nephews and more family member that is truly grieving over him? Only God knows why he shot himself and what happened in his home! For all of you that is judging my family member, what sins have you committed? God knows that too! He without sin cast the first stone!

Give Me a Break! said:
      August 15, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Oh, shut up! How DARE you come here in reverse judgment! A guilty man doesN'T kill himself! Period! Are you a deviant, as well??!! Shame on you!

Reader said:
    April 9, 2013 at 5:06 AM

He obviously shot himself because he was guilty and should of known better considering he was a law enforcement officer for 26 years, while preying on teenagers. I guess someone his own age was out of the question. Sorry for your loss but not for society's.

Mary Harris said:
    April 10, 2013 at 12:51 AM

I have read all your comments about Eddie A.Neal,YESSSS HE does have a child who is now a grown a** man, who he did support thru child support i made sure of that!!!!! My son has grown into a wonderful man not with his help. So to the cousin who posted about how much he will be missed my heart hurts because of all the crap people are posting about his dad, Eddie was a good person but made bad choices like not being there for his son, when he told me that he got married i told him that MEN HOE"S dont get married so why did he and all he did was laugh. I have raised our son to RESPECT WOMEN whether young or old and to never take,
    or call a girl or women out of her name or hit or if SHE SAYS NO BACK THE H*** DOWN!!! because we as women are gifts from God. Eddie in my book was selfish i didnt like watching WGN News to find out that he took his life and then had to tell our son!!!! He has told everybody that he had NO childeren but ON Jan.4.1989 sh** got REAL FOR HIM!!!!

deshauna said:
    April 11, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I can't feel sorry for someone whose job was to serve and protect and he used his job to cover up his wrongdoing. This man was a pedophile that targeted young girls. He killed his self because he knew that it was going to come out what he was doing and the worst thing you could be labeled is a sex offender and that is what he was.

louise said:
    April 11, 2013 at 11:06 PM

life is sudden one shot you are gone people come into your home and you are alone
    but for what ever happen only her and the good LORD knows we
    can't judge a man that is gone for what ever reason we have not a heaven or hell to
    put know one in i don't even know this man the girl got caught and called it rape
    young girls need to be home not in the street

Common Sense said:
      April 12, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Sure and 48 year old men who happen to be a 26 year Police Officer should not be preying on underage females, that is why he was carried by 6 and not judged by 12.

Tina lovingyou said:
    April 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I say to the family and frinds of Officer Edgar A. Neal my deepest condolecnt to them he was a very good friend and lover. So what ever was going on with him only GOD knowns I don't think or belive he did something lke that I think he was set up for this.. And like pervious post what was she doning in his home she went there with intentions on something only she know. it is still sad tat it ended this way R.I.P Neal when is or when was the service? He was not only a lover to me but a good friend to me and my family.

Noname said:
    April 13, 2013 at 9:11 PM

True thats what it seems like

Notunderstanding said:
    February 11, 2014 at 7:00 PM

So sad all around! Sad that as an adult and cop, he didn’t ask for ID or had not “allegedly ” rape anyone. Sad that her parents didn’t discuss the dangers of playing at being an adult. Sad that the choices made here will be made again as along as we continue to allow children to behave as adults with no consequences and no monitoring of their children’s behaviors and whereabouts! Yes the cop was wrong and GOD will deal with that! It’s up to PARENTS to be parents and take responsibility for their children’s upbringing!