Chicago police officer found dead in South Side home

A Chicago police officer was found shot to death in his Far South Side home Wednesday morning.

Authorities said the officer suffered a gunshot wound to the head.

His name was not being released, but he lived in the 900 block of West 129th Place.

He was a 26-year veteran and was assigned to the Calumet District.

Police have not provided any details about the officer or the circumstances surrounding his death.

Neighbors described the neighborhood as a quiet one where many police officers live.

A friend and neighbor, LaShereia Scales, said she believed the officer was married but was going through a divorce.

Scales said the officer was very sociable, would attend neighborhood parties and bring his music collection and act as an informal DJ, she said.

She said he was looking forward to retiring from the force in 2015 and moving to Hawaii.

She said the officer also encouraged her to go back to school.

20 Comments to “Chicago police officer found dead in South Side home”

Po k.irvin 006 dist said:
    April 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM

REST IN PEACE MY FALLEN BROTHER MAY GOD KEEP YOUR FAMILY IN HIS ARMS AND GIVE THEM PEACE AND TRANQUILITY.NO ONE KNOWS THE THINGS THAT WE AS POLICE OFFICERS GO THRU EACH AND EVERYDAY.

keeping real said:
    April 3, 2013 at 2:26 PM

my god bless you sir and god have mercy on your soul and his family

Jacueline Neal Whirl said:
    April 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM

My dear cousin, I love you so much. MISS YOU. .

Keith Irvin 6 dist said:
      April 3, 2013 at 3:09 PM

JACKIE WE ARE HERE 4 UAND THE FAMILY LOVE YOU GUYS.

pbridges said:
    April 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM

RIP Neal

fed up said:
    April 3, 2013 at 3:39 PM

And when the tired police officer got to the gates of heaven, he looked at god and said, " another police officer reporting for duty sir, for I've already served my time in hell" Rest In Peace brother.

ayite said:
    April 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM

You have protected with your life the residents of Roseland. you were a role model. You loved your job with a passion and it showed through your work ethic and knowledge! Assisting each and every member of the community during your numerous foot patrols, enforcing vigorously sit belt laws , yes you were one of my role models sir, with your quiet, very relax and hospitable personality. thank you for 26 years of consistent productive service. You probably are in a better place! RIP!

Denise said:
    April 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Neal, having known you for over twenty years, I can not beleive that you would do that to your self, you loved life, living, women and your job. I shall truly miss you, you were my ex lover but we always remained friends, you could have talked to me. God got a good one. RIP

NotaRapist said:
    April 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Are you idiots serious?

YourMommasaidurugly said:
      April 4, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Now now its not nice to name call

YourMommasaidurugly said:
    April 4, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Suicide is a Sin. Maybe he was Guilty of something that he could not face up too..

twirtzy said:
      April 5, 2013 at 9:48 AM

That's the ticket. When you have nothing good to say, hide behind religion.

BabyGirl951 said:
    April 4, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I've known you for 8 years. We dated for 3. I can't believe begin to fathom this. R.I.P Neal

Hmmm said:
    April 4, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Man…seems like a bunch of Law Enforcement are being picked off in the last few weeks. WTF is going on? More than normal i mean. Maybe its just in the news more because of the DA's being killed…

PastWorkers said:
    April 4, 2013 at 11:05 PM

RIP Neal, we have known u 2 b a very respectful, caring person here @ Carver Military H.S. You will b greatly missed. We reflected often all of the days u came through those hallways with a smile, etc.

Mz. Dee said:
    April 5, 2013 at 4:42 AM

My 20yrs FRIEND (EDDIE) I will trully miss you. My heart hurts. When I lived in Chicago you protected me, my family and friends. I moved to Arizona you continued checking up on me. I will never forget the advice given,hugs,our long talks,motorcycle rides and your awesome smile. To the family words never seem like enough but I know God understands every tear and He (God) catches them not 1 will be wasted. To his wife please remeber the man you fell in love with not the person others try to make him to be. Eddie, I"ll always love you!!!!!

Jaime said:
    April 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM

He raped a 17 year old…..good riddanCe…

Tina lovingyou said:
    April 5, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I've known you neal for over 20 yrs. once my Lover and still my friend. just think I was thinking about you on Monday May 1 2013 and had planed to call you now I really wish i had called you you know my heart is broke in so many peace's when I heard that a Chicago cop had comitted suicide i never would havve thought it was you you loved your job you served and protected with everything you had i can't believe you are gone I'm going to miss you so much… I can't stop crying. I know in my heart you did not do this horribale thing you are accused of R.I.P my friend Ex Lover R.I.P God open your Gates you truly have and Angel coming in…….

Mike Walker said:
    December 19, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Why are ppl coming on here defending this scumbag. Obviously he was guilty so instead of taking responsibility for the rape of a minor (pedo cop…cough cough) he chose the easy way out. Imagine how many other victims are out there; sigh, just another crooked cop

Anon said:
    February 25, 2014 at 12:34 PM

At least 4 women commented as "lovers". Dude had issues.