Senator Mark Kirk supporting same-sex marriage

Illinois Sen. Mark Kirk announced Tuesday that he supports same-sex marriage, becoming the second Republican in the chamber to support it. markkirkcapitolhill

Kirk, 53, recently returned to Congress after suffering a stroke last year. During his recovery, Kirk says he promised himself he would return to the Senate with an open mind and greater respect for others.

His statement reads in part, “Same-sex couples should have the right to civil marriage.  Our time on this earth is limited; I know that better than most. Life comes down to who you love and who loves you back– government has no place in the middle.”

Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio was the first Republican in the U.S. Senate to endorse same-sex marriage. He announced last month that he was swayed on the issue by his son, who told his family he was gay.

Six of the 55 Democratic senators have not endorsed same-sex marriage. Sen. Tom Carper, D-Delaware, announced his support earlier on Tuesday.

Kirk holds the Senate seat which President Barack Obama vacated in 2008.

The CNN Wire Service contributed to this report.

22 Comments to “Senator Mark Kirk supporting same-sex marriage”

Todd Pardee said:
    April 2, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Mr. Kirk,
    Love and marriage are not mutually exclusive. You can definitely have one without the other.

Marty said:
    April 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM

WOW, Is this what the citizens in the area that he represents want or is he trying to keep his paycheck and perks. When will these jokers remember that they work for the people not them selves.

Chris said:
    April 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Actually Marty, I think that's what Senator Kirk is doing with his support of same-sex marriages. I think his constituency actually is in favor of same-sex marriages. I truly believe if he opposed it then he would be catering to those who provide him his paychecks and perks, not the majority of people whom he represents.

Marty said:
      April 2, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Thanks Chris, but is this like the same citizens that voted Jackson Jr into another term, sight unseen, knowing a investigation was at hand. Lets face it we the people have no words. If sen. Kirk needs a favor then he has one in the bank.

Chris said:
        April 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Marty…I totally understand your point. I can't argue with what you say here. I would like to see some sort of "proof" that he is doing this out of support from his constituency versus a "I owe you one." Oh yeah, and thanks for being polite. I appreciate this sort of dialogue.

Jake said:
    April 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM

A marriage is between a man and a woman end of story.

Jay said:
      April 2, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Kirk's trying to capitalize on the issue, shameful. Typical lousy politicians of Illinois. No morals, just plain lust for power!

Carrie said:
      April 2, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Marriage is a union of love. Sex has nothing to do with it. Open your mind.

Jake said:
        April 2, 2013 at 10:30 PM

My mind is open if sex has nothing to do with it. Why can a XX only produce with a XY?

Jake said:
        April 2, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I agree with you why are you attacking me? I was just saying only a man and women can create a life.

Garth said:
        April 2, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Ok, go marry your dog that you love dearly.

Law n order said:
    April 2, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I AGREE MARRIAGE IS BETWEEN MAN N WOMAN NOT SAME SEX.THEY ALL SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMELVES

kirby1414 said:
    April 2, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Let people's bedrooms be off limits to the government – - Let them make their own decisions. It doesn't affect any of us if we don't agree. Government needs to stay away from marriage, abortion, birth control – the personal things that don't affect others. If goverment forces laws/actions people will do it anyway – but, why should they live with the guilt. I'm not a Kirk fan – and I think he's doing it for votes. But, again – let people alone~

I know many of you do not agree – but, it's just my opinion~

Dana said:
      April 2, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I tend to disagree that marriage, abortion, and birth control issues will have no impact on society. Just because people tend to do them in private doesn't mean there won't be consequences. A 16-year old girl aborting her child and a homosexual couple raising a child will definitely have a lasting impact on different aspects of our society. Perhaps, there is too much democracy here now that everybody just wants to invoke their damn misunderstood rights.
      The State should step in and exercise it "Parens Patriae" to restore order without regard for political ambitions such as this Mark Kirk! Common sense and ethics please.

Law and order said:
        April 2, 2013 at 10:20 PM

DANA I AGREE WITH YOU TOTALLY AND I THANK GOD FOR YOU FINALLY A TRUE CHRISTIAN AND GOD FEARING WOMAN.MAY GOD KEEP YOU SAFE.

kirby1414 said:
    April 2, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Dana – I see all of your points. I just think that when people have to hide things – it isn't a good thing either. I have many Catholic friends that take birth control pills – but, because of the church's views- they don't tell anyone – and make up excuses for NOT getting pregnant, to those that disagree with what they are doing. That's just one example – but, I think that ALL of the things that government wants to control – will be done – legally or illegally. I can remember in college, I had a friend that had to get an illegal abortion -a very sad and traumatic time for her. Again: Just my thoughts and opinions~

Dana said:
      April 3, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I understand what you mean and I respect your opinions. But don't you think human beings tend to hide things when they are aware it is illicit or a taboo? Would we be hiding virtues as well? Now, they want to break this barrier so that they can do every illicit deed in the open. Just because there are more gays out in the open together with their supporters, it doesn't mean their advocacy right and for the better of society. I believe it is self-serving. Its like a complete reversal of morals here.

Same-Sex-Supporter said:
    April 2, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Finally a republican with a brain!

Jay said:
    April 3, 2013 at 12:09 AM

LOL!

Pacman said:
    April 3, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Not to change the subject but I think there are a lots of Grandparents that will agree, Why don't they talk about giving Grandparents the right to fight for there Grandchildren. We have herd so much about these bad things that happens to these kids from there fathers and or mothers. We, I for one want my grandchildren back and they are crying for us to bring them back to a home that is safe give them a grant eduction food cloth and lots of love. My wife and I have bin in and out of court for the past year and so mouth now proving to the courts that the father is unfit to be a father he is married to our daughter that passed in November 2011. The guy has bin in and out of jail with DUI, Suspended L, Drugs, Wepend

Pacman said:
    April 3, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Going back to the Grandparent did not let me finish.Give us Grandparents the right to save our Grandchildren. This will be going out to anyone that can help spread the word. Sorry you can go back to Illinois Sen.

Pacman said: