New $25 gun tax takes effect in Cook County today

A new tax on gun sales in Cook County takes effect Monday.

$25 will now be added to every gun sale in the county.

That tax is aimed at curbing taxpayer expenses linked to gun violence, including health care for gunshot victims and jail, and court costs for criminals.

A group of firearms dealers and gun owners have filed a lawsuit to stop the collection of the tax.

They say it violates their constitutional rights to keep and bear arms.

The county expects the new tax to generate an additional $600,000 this year.

19 Comments to “New $25 gun tax takes effect in Cook County today”

Dan said:
    April 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I used to complain about the Pols themselves, now I realize it's the voters who are the idiots for voting these morons into office in the first place!

Guest said:
      April 1, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I agree

Fed up said:
        April 1, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I agree. The big problem in Cook County is that we have so much crap and thugs in Cook. The crap and thugs keep voting the crap into office.

One that knows said:
    April 1, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Just one more thing to add th the list of things not to buy in cook county.

the truth hurts said:
    April 1, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I'm sure all the thugs that have purchased their guns from a guy in a parking lot at 2:30 in the morning will be jumping on the CTA, or the Metro, or bumming a ride with their cousin to get right on down to fork over their $25.00 to be legit gun owners.

Guest123 said:
    April 1, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I bet if you cut the government pensions and salaries you would not need the $25 gun tax. Say good buy to Cabela's.

No Guns said:
      April 1, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I think you mean "good bye". Well then, good bye Cabela's. White trash will have to do something else with their time besides "shootin' stuff".

Tired of Morons said:
        April 1, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Your an idiot.

Richard Jackson said:
        April 1, 2013 at 2:06 PM

That is an insult to idiots! ;-)

Mike said:
    April 1, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Simple solution buy guns in Wisconsin.

Richard Jackson said:
      April 1, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Dupage County is closer and has quality gun shops. We would love the revenue that Cook County apparently wants to send our way!

Tired of Morons said:
    April 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Tax on cigarettes, tax on guns. Nothing for alcohol except letting the drunks injure and kill.

Stoner Dude said:
      April 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM

My gosh! For once I agree with you.

MrCrabs said:
    April 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM

This is yet another way to send businesses and jobs out of the county. The dolts in Springfield are busy finding ways to send manufacturers and jobs out of the state. Springfield Armory, Armalite, Rock River Arms, DA Arms…all employ people. They all make arms for the military market and the civilian market. Is it any wonder that Illinois is such a looser state?

Caligula said:
    April 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I stopped shopping for anything in Cook county years ago. I'm very sorry this is going to effect the gun shops there and hopefully an injunction can put a stop to this b.s. by the crooks of the county.

No Guns said:
    April 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Richard Jackson said:
      April 1, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Yep, laugh loudly as the revenue moves to other counties. Cook County "shot" itself in the foot again!

Legal gun owner said:
    April 1, 2013 at 3:36 PM

So let me see if I understand. This tax will be used for healthcare of gunshot victims, jail and court costs for criminals. But it is the lawful citizen purchasing the gun that has to pay this tax? What kind of I D I O T S are running Chitcago and crook county???

Mike said:
    April 1, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Is there even any gun shops in cook??