Todd Stroger wants to get back on Cook County board

Removed by a reformer, current Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle, former county board president Todd Stroger says he’s been thinking about a political comeback for a while now, and the stars may have suddenly aligned.

“I really do think that government is here to help people and that’s what I know best. And I think I’d like to go back to it,” Stroger told WGN.

It was a tumultuous term for the Stroger, who succeeded his father as the head of the county board. But after a couple of years away, in what he says was ample time to reflect, the former board president wants another round. This time, as commissioner.

“Well, first I wanna talk to my wife,” he said. “And then yes, I want to talk to the committeemen.”

Somewhat ironically, it’s the fall of a Stroger ally, mentor and protector that clears the way for this. The conviction on Thursday of Commissioner William Beavers of using campaign cash to fund a gambling habit, after just two hours of deliberations by a federal jury, means he’s automatically out. Now, the question is, will Democratic committeemen let Stroger back in?

“It’s their appointment to make — their votes weighted based on ward turnout the last time Beavers was elected,” Stroger said.

In a statement, current Board President Toni Preckwinkle said: “This has been an unfortunate turn of events, especially for the residents of the 4th district. The county has a process in place for choosing an individual to fill the remainder of the term. It is my hope the committeemen find a candidate who has a record of community involvement.”

Stroger says he has that: a burning desire to serve.

“I’ve been thinking about it for probably the last six months and he wasn’t gonna run anyway. We have talked a few times. He wasn’t gonna run, so I had told people that I was thinking about running for his seat anyway. So I have talked to a few people. I just hadn’t really tried to put anything in concrete.”

Beavers’ term would have ended in December of next year. Whoever is appointed will serve the rest of it.

Stroger says he’ll be reaching out to those Democratic committeemen over the weekend.

23 Comments to “Todd Stroger wants to get back on Cook County board”

Fed up said:
    March 22, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Please tell me that he's kidding…..

Dr. No said:
      March 23, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Please someone gets me a vambulance, Im sick… I can only takes so much… I hope hes kidding

Spec investigator said:
      March 23, 2013 at 8:55 PM

This guy is still clueless to his incompetence.

"Stroger says he has that: a burning desire to serve.", guess those two years since he took his beating by Manhands Buttwrinkle and flippin burgers at MickyD's is too hard and he wants that easy life daddy said he's entitled to back. Put your big boy pants on Urkle and walk away, you're a zero.

bobhamiltonchicago said:
    March 22, 2013 at 10:30 PM

It's beautiful how our brains shield us from extreme pain. Todd's brain doesn't let him know how corrupt and clueless he is or how much people are completely on to his scam. He got addicted to the free government paychecks coming in every two weeks for all those years and he has no idea how to get or keep a real job. He thinks playing basketball at the gym at 10am is working. I believe he is still under investigation for his crimes in office from the last time. Maybe he just wants to get the free legal coverage which would come from being back on public aid, or as he calls it, serving the people, public service! Sorry Todd, You'll be joining Beavers soon.

Mike Payne said:
    March 23, 2013 at 12:06 AM

FOR WHAT Todd? So you could HIRE EVERY SINGLE STROGER in the Northeast Illinois Region??

guest said:
    March 23, 2013 at 12:51 AM

I cant say I like Stroger at all, but I can say that you are a racist ass-hat.

Todd Pardee said:
      March 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM

What is an “ass hat”? I think your just making words up!

spoolie said:
    March 23, 2013 at 3:58 AM

and knowing the way these knuckleheads appoint idiots to open positions, i would not be surprised to see this happen.todd must need to stuff his pockets with graft cash. hopefully beaver will have his back in the prison shower room,

Bullock said:
    March 23, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Really he has to be out of his mind. Does he think so little of the people of Chicago & Cook County? He can’t possible think that we don’t recall his deplorable actions while in his previous office. This is just one of the many reasons I detest Illinois/Chicago political system: Corrupt to the core. A message to Todd: Please find your moral fortitude and seek employment somewhere else. We already have enough corrupt politicians.

Ismael said:
    March 23, 2013 at 8:10 AM

He is going nowhere. He doesn't have his father and Richie Daley to back Him up. He was too arrogant when He was in charge.

jerry said:
    March 23, 2013 at 8:40 AM

"crooked nigg er democrats".

Wow. I don't know how long you've been in your hole in the ground, but welcome to 2013 .

Tired of the Morons said:
    March 23, 2013 at 8:57 AM

We need your dumb azz back like a whole in the head.

Todd Pardee said:
    March 23, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Stroger,
    I miss you like I miss a painful rectal itch!

Stew said:
    March 23, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Todd you are a cluster headache to all people in cook county and the world. Take your crookedness somewhere else.

Andy P said:
    March 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Ithis is the chutzpah of the West Side…no matter what they do, they are infallible. We should storm the County building if this crook and son of a crook comes back.

BTW, I thought he had prostate cancer..he can always use that like Jessie did with the bipolar excuse.

Juan N said:
    March 23, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Yes Todd, because we need more corrupt politicians in Illinois. And by the way, I believe Todd, is seriously thinking about helping people, the only way he knows how…by helping his family and other non-qualified friends of his. What a dumb ass!

Dan said:
    March 23, 2013 at 11:33 AM

He has facial hair now…so now he thinks he's more qualified.

dfcam said:
    March 23, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Is there no other jobs except on the Cook County payroll? Get a real job loser!

Pete said:
    March 23, 2013 at 5:51 PM

He's got to be kidding! I can't believe that he's not in prison yet.