Sports

Bears unable to reach deal with Urlacher

After playing the last 13 years with the Chicago Bears, LB Brian Urlacher is now a free agent.

The Chicago Bears announced Wednesday that they were unable to reach a deal with Urlacher for the 2013 season.

“We were unable to reach an agreement with Brian and both sides have decided to move forward,” Bears General Manager Phil Emery said in a news release. “Brian has been an elite player in our league for over a decade. He showed great leadership and helped develop a winning culture over his time with the Bears. We appreciate all he has given our team, on and off the field. Brian will always be welcome as a member of the Bears.”

The eight-time Pro Bowler started 180-of-182 games played in 13 seasons (2000-12) with the Bears recording a franchise-record 1,779 tackles. The ninth overall selection in the 2000 NFL Draft recorded 41.5 sacks, 22 interceptions, 16 opponent fumble recoveries and 11 forced fumbles for Chicago.

Urlacher was honored as the 2005 Associated Press Defensive Player of the Year, the 2000 NFL Rookie of the Year, was a four-time All-Pro (2001-02, 2005-06), a two-time Brian Piccolo Award winner (2000 and 2007) and was named the team’s Ed Block Courage Award winner in 2011.

VIEW & ADD COMMENTS

8 Comments to “Bears unable to reach deal with Urlacher”

    Bob howicz said:
    March 20, 2013 at 5:57 PM

    Way over rated shoud have retired last year lousy father and needs to support kids he has not an elite payed just hyped b bears since the don’t have anyone else t hype….

    jason said:
    March 20, 2013 at 6:04 PM

    Bob is obviously a Cheese head…

      Peggy said:
      March 20, 2013 at 9:58 PM

      Jason, DITTO

    not surprised said:
    March 20, 2013 at 6:25 PM

    Actually Bob, he is a great father and his ex is a psycho! It would be such a shame if the Bears don't sign him.

      P O said:
      March 20, 2013 at 8:04 PM

      What do you expect from the Halas family. It's about the almighty $$$

    OUTRAGED said:
    March 20, 2013 at 8:07 PM

    I HAVE BOUGHT MY LAST TICKET.AS A LIFELONG FAN, I REFUSE TO CONTINUE TO LINE THE POCKETS OF A FAMILY OF OWNERS WHO WOULD NOT STEP IN TO INSURE THE PLAYER WHO FOR YEARS HAS BEEN THE FACE AND HEART OF OUR TEAM WOULD FINISH HIS CAREER HERE WHERE HE BELONGS.

    retiredinaz1 said:
    March 20, 2013 at 9:10 PM

    I agree…totally over rated……who does he think he is scoff at 2 million? adios and stop whining

    Monster said:
    March 21, 2013 at 12:15 AM

    Just heard on the news that he was first offered 2 years 5.5 million a month ago and refused it, I am sure he regrets not taking that offer. Remember Brian it's a business!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Advertisement

Advertisement