Gas station clerk fatally stabbed in Streamwood

A 24-year-old man was fatally stabbed while working overnight as a clerk in a Streamwood gas station.

chi-gas-station-clerk-fatally-stabbed-in-strea-002Just after 4:30 Saturday morning, Streamwood police say a man entered the Thornton’s Gas Station and stabbed 24-year-old Anandkumar Jaiswal in the chest several times before taking money from the cash register.

Jaiswal was the only one working at the time.  He was Anandkumar Jaiswalrushed to a hospital in Hoffman Estates and pronounced dead just after 5:30 a.m.

Police released still photos from the surveillance camera of the suspect.  He is holding a knife, he had his face and hands covered, and was wearing one white shoe, and one dark colored shoe.

The suspect is described as a white male, between 5’9 and 6 feet tall.  Investigators with the major case assistance team are working with Streamwood police to find the killer.

Jaiswal moved to Streamwood from India two years ago.  His family says he had been working the overnight shift at the gas station at the corner of Church and Barrington. His uncle, Ashwin Jaiswal, said “He was such a nice guy, trying to make a living, supporting his family his whole life.”

Fatal Streamwood gas station stabbingThe victim’s heartbroken family members are searching for answers.  They say Jaiswal lived about two miles from the gas station.

His family says he was saving money for college, and that he hoped to return to India one day to get married and find work.  They said there is no one who would ever want to hurt him.

56 Comments to “Gas station clerk fatally stabbed in Streamwood”

Neighbor said:
    March 16, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Wow. So sad and unfortunate. Rest in peace, my friend.

sfdszs said:
      March 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM

i actually saw this

Chris said:
        March 17, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Can you give us more personal account of the murderer? Is there anything out of the ordinary that would help identify him?

Tony said:
      March 18, 2013 at 5:20 AM

Does anyone know if Anandkumar worked out at Charter fitness on schaumburg and springinsguth? I work out there at about the same time the guy who looks like Anandkumar does I didnt know him im just wondering if its him.

Thortons customer said:
    March 16, 2013 at 9:36 PM

What a horrible tragedy. Nobody deserves this. I hope they find the scumbag that committed this disgusting crime. Rest in peace Anandkumar Jaiswal.

Wilfredo Cruz said:
    March 16, 2013 at 9:46 PM

from myself as a Thornton's employee, your family has my deepest sympathy.

Deanne said:
    March 16, 2013 at 9:52 PM

So sad .. Prayers to The Jaiswal Family

John Smith said:
    March 16, 2013 at 10:40 PM

WHY WHY WHY?

Thorntons Customer said:
    March 16, 2013 at 10:56 PM

You are in our prayers I remember you always had a smile on your face when I came to fill up gas or grab an energy drink before work. Such a nice person man, I know you didn't deserve it.
    R.I.P. Anandkumar Jaiswal
    Its such a cold world out there, Is any amount of money really worth the life of a person? it really makes you take a moment of silence and think about your life and how it could end before you know it.

kcwkemwkmec said:
    March 16, 2013 at 11:01 PM

You WILL be found….

Lauren said:
    March 16, 2013 at 11:04 PM

It takes a sick, twisted individual to do this to an innocent, hard working man. The Streamwood Thorntons employees are always friendly, especially Mr. Jaiswal. He did not deserve this. Rest in peace young man.

Fed up said:
    March 17, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Another senseless act. The guy was just trying to make an honest living. Rest In Peace

John Wulfing said:
    March 17, 2013 at 3:03 AM

I remember shopping at Thornton's when he was working. He was always very kind. I think I gave him a gospel paper. I hope he read it,and believed in Jesus as his Saviour. My sympathies to his family.

Amin said:
      March 17, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Whatever his belief, whatever his faith, I'm sure he was alright the creator. God, Allah, WHATEVER !

Common Sense said:
    March 17, 2013 at 3:06 AM

This is not surprising considering that Thornton's, in order to maximize corporate profits, has made corporate level decisions to staff their 24 hour stores with only one person at night almost inviting such criminal acts. The fact that Thornton's Corp only offered a $5000.00 reward shows that they care more about the bottom line than security and safety. Had there been 2 cashiers at this location, this crime would have been impossible to carry out.

Mike Payne said:
      March 17, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I am a night shift Gas Station Cashier myself near Naperville — some businesses CAN'T AFFORD to staff a shift with 2 people.

And I would rather work my 10pm to 6am shift ALONE — Then to have them close overnight ( for valid safety reasons ) — BUT THEN I DON'T HAVE A JOB.

Really? said:
      March 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Seriously? The fact that Thornton's offered a reward at all means something. There are cameras and survellience footage. And did you think that if there were 2 employees on there may have been 2 senseless murders? "Impossible to carry out?" are you that close-minded?

Lee said:
    March 17, 2013 at 6:17 AM

as a 3rd shift thorntons employee myself this really worries and saddens me. I have to say that thorntons has absolutely RUBISH SECURITY cameras. Most if not all of the images are blurry and just overall poor quality, they should invest in better cameras. as for having one employee at night, unfortunately that is how it is.

Frank said:
    March 17, 2013 at 8:38 AM

This is very disturbing. As a Thornton's employee working 3rd shift, I can confirm that Thornton's doesn't give a crap about any of their employee's. Even though this happened nearly 24 hours prior, when I began my shift Saturday night/Sunday morning, I was not even informed about this murder and robbery, nor given a description of the assailant by either my manager nor Thorntons Corporate, even though I work within 25 miles of this station. They didn't even bother informing me, even though I am obviously in danger. This shows just how much Thornton's cares about their employee safety & security. Profits over safety and employee security is their policy. Had 2 people been working, Anandkumar Jaiswal would still be alive. This will not be the last Thorntons employee to be murdered because they will never change their one person at night policy, because is all Thorntons cares about is profits and money. I should know because I work there. Employee's are quite expendable at Thorntons Corpration.

Tired of the Morons said:
      March 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM

You are a whining moron.

Really? said:
      March 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Wow Frank! Seems like you need to quit or get fired. If you have that little faith in the company you work for why are you there?

Frank said:
    March 17, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Thorntons makes about 1 million dollars a day with their 2oo plus stores, and they offer a 5ooo.oo reward? Seriously? That's all Anandkumar Jaiswal's life is worth? Why not 5ooo.oo bucks and a box of cracker jack? The people who run this corporation deserve nothing but contempt, as they are nothing more then a bunch of greedy business jerks who don't care about employee safety and security at all.

5ooo.oo dollars as a reward is obnoxious and insulting.

Debbie611 said:
    March 17, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Quite possibly if 2 people had been working, two people may have died. We don't know. As to the reward, if I could help solve a crime I would not expect anything in return, besides a thank you. Just goes to show the greed in this world. People should be more than willing to help at no gain for themselves.

Debbie611 said:
      March 17, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I work at a gas station also….

Frank said:
    March 17, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Deb,

I think the idea in the above video is the answer, paid security guards for stores with only 1 employee at night. Thorntons has cameras, but they are so cheap and of such low quality, they are worthless. Thorntons stores are usually very large stations and give one the appearance that the cash drawers are full. The truth is 95% of the business is done by credit cards, and we all make regular cash drops with the little that we do cllcollect, usually less then 15o bucks. To have these large stores manned by only 1 person at night, sometimes by young 2o year old females is to flirt with disaster.

My point is Thorntons can afford to pay for security at night, it is well within their budget and profit margins, and also a very reasonable precaution, but they don't, and this needs to change. Anandkumar Jaiswal's death is tragic and needless, but possibly avoidable. Thorntons better take this as a wake up call and place in their budget security for single manned 24×7 stations. They can afford it, but are too cheap. – RIP Anandkumar Jaiswal's

Debbie611 said:
      March 17, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Frank,
      I would love to see Thornton's beef up the security, along with every gas station. The station I work at was robbed earlier in the evening, with 2 people there.. Fortunately, our doors are locked from midnight until 6:00 am.

Frank said:
    March 17, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I work 3rd shift, and here is what Thorntons requires of me; There might be 1o-12 people in line, with me all alone, and if pump 14 presses the "pay inside" button on the pump, then I am required to leave the store and walk up to1oo-12o feet away to get a license number. Sorry but that is a seriously bad policy of Thornton's. It is beyond insane and is downright dangerous. Simple solution; PREPAY –

Thornton's needs to wake up and change their insane policies of profit over employee security

Debbie611 said:
      March 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Frank,
      That's crazy. All of our pumps are prepay from midnight-6:00 am.

Gone 2 Soon said:
    March 17, 2013 at 11:21 AM

RIP my friend, and my deepest condolences to all your family and friends. you will be greatly missed.

Jonathan said:
    March 17, 2013 at 11:54 AM

another totally avoidable death,, the Bank I go to recently changed to NOT having a security officer in the Lobby of the bank, and they had been robbed TWICE! I talked to the Tellers there, all the women my friends, and I said wow, you have got to be kidding me!!! I said I hope you have guns under your counters to shoot these armed robbers! Also the gas station I go to a BP one, is open 24/7 but it has bullet proof glass protecting the cashier.

Mike Payne said:
      March 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Sounds like me and my BP station — but I still have to go outside to empty garbage, change receipt rolls on the pumps, salt in winter, etc., etc., etc…….

You just have to be C A R E F U L ( But one shouldn't have to be ).

jesse said:
    March 17, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I didnt know him personally but every time i went to get gas Anandkumar Jaiswal was there. He was a sweet guy always polite. Its so sad what happened, R.I.P. u will never be forgotten :-(……we need justice!!!! lets catch this bastard!!!!

just a thought said:
    March 17, 2013 at 2:32 PM

funny how when a white guy commits a murder theres no racist comments.
    Go to this link please and scroll to the comments ——–> http://wgntv.com/2013/03/17/man-beaten-to-death-o

Lauren said:
      March 17, 2013 at 3:19 PM

@ just a thought: what are you trying to do here? Go away. Nobody has said anything about race. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victim and his family.

Mike Payne said:
        March 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM

My sincere Condolences to his Family also — I have exactly the same night shift job.

But "what just a thought" MEANS is that ANY TIME a Black person commits an crime, you get: "Send all the damm animals back to the jungle", "Obama's Son", "Filthy Nigg ers", and all that stuff.

OF COURSE the killer IS a Filthy Animal — But no "Send him back to Croatia", "Romney's Son" or such — it becomes noticeable quickly.

anman said:
        March 18, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Well I am just surprised that a "honkey" would commit a crime like this. usually it is a "negro". Do you feel better? Listen man it is sad all around and yeah there are some very insensitive jerks on the internet. I fully expect once they catch this guy that he will be charged with a hate crime. Every race has bad people. Everyone. Whites included and to some degree the whites are the worst.

George said:
    March 17, 2013 at 3:33 PM

This is so absolutely senseless!!! WTF is wrong with people!!!!! I can't wait for them to get this guy and string him up by his *****. RIP Jaiswal, our prayers are with you and your family.

Chris said:
    March 17, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Rest in peace friend. I live 1 mile from the gas station and have interacted with Anand many times in the morning. I pray that the murderer will come forward in the future and hold himself accountable.

The technology is there for the news sites to cooperate with local police and ISPs to identify the IP addresses that visit this article. There is a chance that the murderer has viewed the article.

aqjcojcowjc said:
      March 17, 2013 at 8:19 PM

A chance? You know darn well this sick A$$ has viewed these messages….he WILL be found!!!! Yes IP address tracking is easy and either they will catch him that way or someone will rat him out for the reward $$. Print out those pictures and paste them all over the area…

Joe k said:
    March 17, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Such a nice kid man. R.i.p buddy.

We can see you said:
    March 18, 2013 at 9:05 AM

We know you are reading this you sick bastard. I hope one day you feel the pain that you caused this family. This kind of act deserves waterboarding.

Casey said:
    March 18, 2013 at 1:49 PM

We were first SHOCKED and then TOTALLY SADDENED to hear that this young worker was bruttally stabbed to death while working at the local Thronton's. Our hearts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Moose said:
    March 18, 2013 at 1:49 PM

RIP to this poor soul that had to undergo such a tradgic crime. What Frank has said is all true while working overnights for this company. They only keep the stores open 24/7 to optimise their profits and by doing so they require only one person to work. In that 8hr shift you are required to prep the store for the morning hours. Watch the lot and get plate numbers for those that are possible drive offs. I have worked for this company for quite awhile and I agree that the policy should change. In the time I have been working for them in the last few years there have been clerks held up at gun point, beaten, beaten and raped, and now this. All of which have been on the overnight shift. Providing security for the people will never happen, but adding another person to assist with the job can and should. Reason why security won't happen is plain and simple it costs too much, where as another person hired does not. Yes if people want to commit a crime they will, but had there been more people there it most likly would have provided a hesitation for this type of crime. Would it have stopped it if they really wanted to rob the place no.

Moose said:
      March 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Instead knowing there was 2 or more people one of the others could have made the call sooner and faster. I just don't understand why one person has to be responsible for the work that two or three people do during the morning and mid shifts yet do not have the back up like the other shifts of the overlapping of the shifts like the others do. They preach safety yet all over their counter areas are open allowing some one to walk right in and do something like this. A good policy change would be at 11pm doors are locked and customers have to pay thru the pumps or hand cash to the cashier thru a secure box that the cashier pushes out for them. Then again remodeling costs money and the company doesn't like spending it to better their stores unless it is a new store opening up. Then they get all the bells and whistles and more then enough staff.

Casey said:
    March 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM

After hearing about this absolutely awful crime, being orgininally from Chicago, I was surprised to see that there was still a large number of officers inside and outside of the station all day Sunday and that the station stil remained closed and was still cordoned off with the yellow police tape.
    I was also extremely pleased to see that the police took this senseless snf heinous murder so seriously — cordoning off the immediate area, searching the surrounding storage company, the church and cemetary with dogs and their handlers, etc.. When things like this happened in Chicago,most times the business were up and running the next day and there was little to no outward signs that a murder had taken place the day before..
    We will continue to pray that this Son-of-a b**** is caught and punished!!!

Heather said:
    March 18, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I loved this guy..:( he was the best I lived right by thortons a couple blocks away and I'm scared he is by my house or hiding somewhere…:( so scared I'm scared to go to sleep at night?.. I used to go in there and get hot chocolate (; but now I am so sad…. DON'T PUT THE GUY IN JAIL KILL HIM LET HIM KNOW HOW IT FEELS!

sandy said:
    March 19, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Somebody will be able to recognize this horribly out of shape, hunchbacked, big nosed, SOB…your day is coming you worthless scum…heck the man boobs alone should bring him down….!!

Susan Saunders said:
    March 19, 2013 at 4:18 PM

i work at a gas station and have worked 3rd our policy is doors locked at midnight till 6 am everything is prepay during those hours. our company requires 2 employees during the other hours for the safety of our employees.no matter where the store is located.

Susan said:
    March 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM

It is such a tragedy that Thorton's can not pay for better security. I don't feel people should be working alone on a 3rd shift. Thorton's could have well afforded to put at least 2 people on duty with the money they make.
    To leave that poor kid alone was a crime in itself. They know they have done wrong there, I hope they do catch you whoever you are . Whoever turns your ass in gets $25,000.00…Your lucky I don't know you ….You gutless piece of trash, you would be sitting behind bars right now,
    My heart goes out to the family of Anandkumar Jaiswal….My prayers are with you and even though I did not know your son I know the feeling of loss. He is in peace now.

LOU said:
    March 19, 2013 at 5:54 PM

IF YOU MAKE SO MUCH DAMN MONEY THORTON'S WHY DON'T YOU PAY TO PUT ONE OF THOSE WINDOWS IN SO NO ONE CAN COME IN THE STORE JUST PAY THROUGH THE WINDOW. YOU KNOW YOU LEAVE YOUR EMPLOYEES LIKE SITTING DUCKS.
    RIP ANDI

meg said:
    March 20, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Poor young man, what a senseless act. How terrified he must have felt. I believe these types of businesses, gas stations, 24 hr marts, should be closed between 1-5 am, with window walk up service only. Hopefully there is other surveillance footage that can aide police.

Sam said:
    March 21, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Its funny how people are on here fighting about what they think should be fixed, or about how this is racist when we should all just be hoping for justice, in the economy we are in, this was an unavoidable, tragic event, i just wissh that the world could change, but it never willl stop complaining about Thorntons policies and security it happened, too late to fix it, just pray for his family, let it be taken care of by the professionals

Thorton Customer said:
    March 23, 2013 at 6:03 AM

My Deepest Sadness Goes out to Andy's family. This gentleman or any God's creation never deserve this! A young man who's trying to make a living, fulfil a dream, working shifts to try an survive and an Asshole comes in and do this cowardly act. This gentleman displayed and sold customer service (along with the whole staff) every morning, making my day at 400 a.m easier to begin a days of work. To the family, it's hard to say STAY STRONG! However, god will make it easier as the days passes by. I thoughts and prayers goes out to each love ones. I am griefing with you as well. Keep The Faith! This asshole will be caught

Hopeful said:
    March 23, 2013 at 4:14 PM

The police should be looking at that knife the guy used. Looks very unique and im sure someone will remember seeing a knife like that. They should be posting pics of the knife.

madison said:
    March 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM

if seen allot of bad stuff in streamwood but this was the worse they should stp making people suffer i myself am a single mom and im thinking about moving according tohow dangerous it is i already sufferd a divorce

nancy said:
    March 27, 2013 at 5:27 PM

r.i.p im so sad what kind of selfish person would do this i give the family that sufferd love,shelter,prayers,god i feel the pain and to the family that this happend to im so sorry for your loss and you are safe i feel so bad i wish i could make a change