Husband watches as wife struck and killed by Metra train

Imagine the horror of watching your spouse take off on foot and become the victim of a fatal accident right before your very eyes.

This morning around 7:30 a.m., 56-year-old Gail Przybyla was on her way to work at a Bensenville day care center when she and her husband found themselves waiting for a train to cross the tracks.

She was but 20 feet from her workplace front door when she opened the door of the car and ran for it, trying to beat the train on foot.

Her husband begged her to stop, but she insisted.

She was blindsided by an express train as her husband sat behind the wheel of his car and waited to see if she made it to the other side safely.

Gail Przybyla was pronounced dead at the scene.

Todd Przybyla describes his wife as the most kind and loving women he’s ever known. He wants others to learn from his tragedy saying that waiting 20 more seconds for a train to pass should be the only option.

He said taking a risk to run for it “is not worth your life.”

48 Comments to “Husband watches as wife struck and killed by Metra train”

throdore gannon said:
    March 14, 2013 at 11:12 PM

so sorry for your loss from the gannons

don said:
    March 15, 2013 at 1:35 AM

maybe she was running away from him???

hogan said:
      March 18, 2013 at 9:01 AM

You are an idiot

Bobby T. said:
    March 15, 2013 at 3:04 AM

If your blindsided you don't KNOW a train is coming to beat. Who wrote this jury tampering crock.

Google map shows two pedestrian at grade crossings right there with NO signals. Add in the train quiet zone and the kozmos in charge show be sent a packin'. How hard to bury some light cables down to these places to cross???
    372172J http://www.icc.illinois.gov/railroad/crossing.asp

Tired of the Morons said:
      March 15, 2013 at 5:53 AM

Moron, you don't cross the tracks when a train is there. It's her fault not the RR's. Stupidity at it's best.

sandy said:
        March 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM

this is still someone's daughter, mother, wife and sister you jerk.

Tired of the Morons said:
        March 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM

F U. Still makes her an idiot. I know that area and crossing. There are trains all the time that don't stop until either Franklin Park or River Grove.

Sammy said:
      March 15, 2013 at 7:12 AM

There is Signals there and it is not a quiet zone…get your story straight before you comment on things…Dumbass!

guest said:
        March 15, 2013 at 2:34 PM

'There "ARE" signals there …Dumbass! Use "are" when you are using plurals

John said:
    March 15, 2013 at 6:28 AM

Dumbass.

Iam said:
      March 16, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Yes, You are.

Jcs said:
    March 15, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Where the compassion for a lost life, a wife a mother. I can't believe these comments. Prayers to the family that lost a wife, mother.

benn said:
    March 15, 2013 at 8:18 AM

All she needed to do is wait a few seconds. That train was going fast.

robin said:
      March 16, 2013 at 1:12 PM

goimg too fast?? you obviously are not the least bit familiar with trains..

MWS said:
    March 15, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I don’t know, it is kind of hard to feel bad for someone who was so blatantly stupid. At 56 years of age you should KNOW to wait until the trains have cleared the track. Stupid is as stupid does.

Teddy Roosevelt said:
      March 15, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I agree, who would think a 56 yo woman would just jump out of the car and run across the tracks….I feel bad for the family, but, just another case of how stupid our society is becoming….I wouldn't doubt she was talking on a cell or texting while she was doing this…

tanya said:
    March 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I feel bad for her families loss. But lets be honest….. she kinda deserves a 'Darwin Award'.

Sara said:
    March 15, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Seriously people that story makes NO sense! Why would a grown woman get out of her car and race a train? And the husband would just sit in the car and watch? Clearly there are serious details missing here.

Stefanie said:
      March 16, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Sadly, I see this every single day at my Metra stop. Same guy, every day, runs across the tracks to beat the train. He's been repeatedly yelled at by the conductors to no avail. It's a heartstopper every morning – and this guy is well over 50.

I work at a hospital, and can say with certainty – the train always wins.

Jess said:
    March 15, 2013 at 11:04 AM

She was right by work, probably running late and didn't want to wait for a train. She thought it was far enough away, got out and tried to run and beat it. Idk what the questions are about here?

Tammy said:
    March 15, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Some of you are the most insensitive people I have come across in a long time. She made a mistake and paid for it with her life. Her husband is telling the story so other people would learn. We have all been in a hurry and have taking chances in life. I pray for her and her family. I am sure she was a great person.

Really? said:
      March 15, 2013 at 2:49 PM

How about her being so selfish. She's not going to listen to him and do what she wants. Now he is the one left dealing with her mistake. Real considerate.

Carolyn said:
        March 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I don't think it was a matter of her being selfish – it was a matter of making a rash decision that turned out to be a fatal one! Didn't you ever make a mistake you wish you could take back? Well, she can't it back – she's dead. Have a heart and pray for her husband instead of bashing his dead wife. Thanks, bye!

Dee said:
        March 16, 2013 at 7:22 AM

…so far I've never made a mistake that cost me my life….and I'm 57…so I've been more successful than this woman….

sandy said:
      March 15, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Finally a sensible person with a caring heart. Thank you Tammy

MWS said:
    March 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Yawn and Snore.

Zaffa1234 said:
    March 15, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Well, yes it is a loss and we all feel, but I have a GF that does things like that all the time. Then she argues all the time, well i was just this, i was just that, well i thought this, well if i had thought it was important, blah blah blah. So hes sitting there trying to get her to listen to reason, and she won't. whos fault is it? SHe is running from him? The RR? I mean lets put blame where blame should be put and listen to the Husband message, please women, have a little common sense and listen, dont argue.

Carolyn said:
    March 15, 2013 at 1:54 PM

My heart goes out to her husband and their entire family. This was not a suicide – it was a fatal mistake and I'm sure if she had it to do over again she wouldn't do it! I agree – she should have just waited the 2 minutes and she would still have her life. I've been a commuter for the past 7 years and honestly, I'm afraid to cross the tracks even when the gates are up! I cringe every time. I can't imagine trying to beat a train like that. May she rest in peace and may her husband and family try and find peace from this horrific incident!

Mike said:
    March 15, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Doesnt it only take like 5 seconds max to cross a train track on foot….The train was closer than the time it takes to get across and she didnt know it?

Emily said:
      March 17, 2013 at 6:26 AM

She was most likely trying to beat a train going one direction slowly and wasn't able to see that an express train was coming from the other direction. It happens all the time. People see the one train , stopped or slowing for the station and think that is the only reason the gates are down.

black kok said:
    March 15, 2013 at 2:14 PM

fucking idiot, old enough to know better.

sandy said:
      March 15, 2013 at 4:14 PM

you are the fucking idiot

Sherry said:
      March 16, 2013 at 1:09 AM

If you want to talk like that please go some where else . You are disgusting. Thank you

Tired of the Morons said:
        March 17, 2013 at 4:17 PM

On the other hand if you find it disgusting, leave.

Jazzy guy said:
    March 15, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Another Darwin Award winner!!

ex bus driver said:
    March 15, 2013 at 7:46 PM

is a JOB really worth your life NO WAY!! so she was running late will the boss KILL her no but the train will

Jim said:
      March 18, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Not if you are an ex bus driver.

Slick 1 said:
    March 15, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Seems strange…. can't judge train speed on a straight track??? She gets out of car runs in front of to avoid being a couple minutes late???? not a 20 minute freight train… An 8 car express train..My prays and thoughts although believe more to story. If my wife just died wouldn't be all of sudden train advocate on the news unless I knew something was awry and trying to calm everyone. Again I wasn't there though.

REALLY?? said:
    March 16, 2013 at 4:52 AM

"She was BUT 20 FEET (my emphasis) from her workplace front door when she opened the door of the car and ran for it…"

Really?? Unless the "Bensenville day care center" she worked at was located BETWEEN the 2 train tracks at that crossing, I think whoever made this statement has as poor a sense of spacial perception as that of the of "the VICTIM(?) of (this) fatal accident…"

(…Note to self: make sure kids' day care facility has entrance A SAFE DISTANCE from speeding trains…)

Jan Majengs said:
    March 16, 2013 at 7:34 PM

She probably had to take a shit real bad!!!

Emily said:
    March 17, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Badorder said:
    March 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Lets not forget about the train crew. Not an easy thing to live with either.

Advocate said:
    March 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Maybe her husband pushed her in front of the train to collect the accidental death insurance money. It's happened before

Tired of the Morons said:
    March 17, 2013 at 12:10 PM

"She was but 20 feet from her workplace front door" Really, did you even see the area. There is nothing that close to the track except a train station. Dumbass!

Mel said:
    March 17, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I am sorry but that was just plain stupid, a grown adult should have known better! Stupid move, now her family has to suffer…

Marci said:
    March 18, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I cannot believe the insensitive comments here. Regardless of the circumstances, a woman lost her life. Show some compassion.

bob said: