Michelle Obama: Kids need to be more active

First Lady Michelle Obama marks the third anniversary of her “Let’s Move!” initiative by unveiling “Let’s Move! Active Schools” in Chicago on Thursday.

During an event at McCormick Place, she urged kids to be more active to improve their health and well-being.

She pointed out only one in three children are active everyday. She argued it’s time to make activity a way of life and fun again.

“For me, playing sports taught me how to be a part of a team, taught me how to be aggressive, how to compete and win, which were important lessons for a young girl, especially back then,” said Mrs. Obama.

The First Lady acknowledged many schools can’t afford programs for activities due to budget woes, but believes activities come in all forms, and don’t have to cost a lot of money.

After her visit to Chicago, the First Lady will head to Springfield, Missouri to see the changes Walmart is doing to make its foods healthier and more affordable.

13 Comments to “Michelle Obama: Kids need to be more active”

Darwinner said:
    February 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Isolation, also, is an important element in the process of natural selection. In a confined or isolated area, if not very large, the organic and inorganic conditions of life will generally be in a great degree uniform; so that natural selection will tend to modify all the individuals of a varying species throughout the area in the same manner in relation to the same conditions. Intercrosses, also, with the individuals of the same species, which otherwise would have inhabited the surrounding and differently circumstanced districts, will be prevented. But isolation probably acts more efficiently in checking the immigration of better adapted organisms, after any physical change, such as of climate or elevation of the land, &c.; and thus new places in the natural economy of the country are left open for the old inhabitants to struggle for, and become adapted to, through modifications in their structure and constitution. Lastly, isolation, by checking immigration and consequently competition, will give time for any new variety to be slowly improved; and this may sometimes be of importance in the production of new species. If, however, an isolated area be very small, either from being surrounded by barriers, or from having very peculiar physical conditions, the total number of the individuals supported on it will necessarily be very small; and fewness of individuals will greatly retard the production of new species through natural selection, by decreasing the chance of the appearance of favourable variations.

G Washington said:
    February 28, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Among the vicissitudes incident to life no event could have filled me with greater anxieties than that of which the notification was transmitted by your order, and received on the 14th day of the present month. On the one hand, I was summoned by my Country, whose voice I can never hear but with veneration and love, from a retreat which I had chosen with the fondest predilection, and, in my flattering hopes, with an immutable decision, as the asylum of my declining years–a retreat which was rendered every day more necessary as well as more dear to me by the addition of habit to inclination, and of frequent interruptions in my health to the gradual waste committed on it by time. On the other hand, the magnitude and difficulty of the trust to which the voice of my country called me, being sufficient to awaken in the wisest and most experienced of her citizens a distrustful scrutiny into his qualifications, could not but overwhelm with despondence one who (inheriting inferior endowments from nature and unpracticed in the duties of civil administration) ought to be peculiarly conscious of his own deficiencies. In this conflict of emotions all I dare aver is that it has been my faithful study to collect my duty from a just appreciation of every circumstance by which it might be affected. All I dare hope is that if, in executing this task, I have been too much swayed by a grateful remembrance of former instances, or by an affectionate sensibility to this transcendent proof of the confidence of my fellow-citizens, and have thence too little consulted my incapacity as well as disinclination for the weighty and untried cares before me, my error will be palliated by the motives which mislead me, and its consequences be judged by my country with some share of the partiality in which they originated.

Harry said:
    February 28, 2013 at 1:46 PM

With all the taxes the City charges, CPS should have more then enough money to run schools.
    The schools need to budget money smarter.

J Caesar said:
    February 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM

“Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
    I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him;
    The evil that men do lives after them,
    The good is oft interred with their bones,
    So let it be with Caesar … The noble Brutus
    Hath told you Caesar was ambitious:
    If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
    And grievously hath Caesar answered it …
    Here, under leave of Brutus and the rest,
    (For Brutus is an honourable man;
    So are they all; all honourable men)
    Come I to speak in Caesar's funeral …
    He was my friend, faithful and just to me:
    But Brutus says he was ambitious;
    And Brutus is an honourable man….
    He hath brought many captives home to Rome,
    Whose ransoms did the general coffers fill:
    Did this in Caesar seem ambitious?
    When that the poor have cried, Caesar hath wept:
    Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:
    Yet Brutus says he was ambitious;
    And Brutus is an honourable man.
    You all did see that on the Lupercal
    I thrice presented him a kingly crown,
    Which he did thrice refuse: was this ambition?
    Yet Brutus says he was ambitious;
    And, sure, he is an honourable man.
    I speak not to disprove what Brutus spoke,
    But here I am to speak what I do know.
    You all did love him once, not without cause:
    What cause withholds you then to mourn for him?
    O judgement! thou art fled to brutish beasts,
    And men have lost their reason…. Bear with me;
    My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
    And I must pause till it come back to me”

kid1339 said:
    February 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Well I say !!

kid1339 said:
    February 28, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Well I say to that too !!

Alexander the Good said:
    February 28, 2013 at 2:26 PM

But if you turn back now, there will remain unconquered many warlike peoples between the Hyphasis and the Eastern Ocean, and many more to the northward and the Hyrcanian Sea, with the Scythians, too, not far away; so that if we withdraw now there is a danger that the territory which we do not yet securely hold may be stirred to revolt by some nation or other we have not yet forced into submission. Should that happen, all that we have done and suffered will have proved fruitless–or we shall be faced with the task of doing it over again from the beginning. Gentlemen of Macedon, and you, my friends and allies, this must not be. Stand firm; for well you know that hardship and danger are the price of glory, and that sweet is the savour of a life of courage and of deathless renown beyond the grave.

kid1339 said:
      February 28, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I saw a bunch of kids running to a pork chop house the other day , does that count ?

Harry said:
    February 28, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Michelle needs to switch to her old hair style so she can cover those horse teeth.

Whatever said: