National and World News

New program provides food stamps for pets in struggling families

A new program is helping low income families avoid choosing between putting food on their pet’s dish or on their own.

Petfoodstamps.org offers free monthly delivery of pet food for people and struggling families on food stamps.

The program runs on donations and provides six months worth of pet food for qualifying families anywhere in the United States.

The non-profit organization is not currently looking for government funding, but said it is something they may consider if the government is willing.

19 Comments to “New program provides food stamps for pets in struggling families”

Carrie said:
    February 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM

what a great idea…I also thinks pets should be elgible for medicare:)))

Nic said:
    February 26, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Seriously? How many PEOPLE & Children go hungry everyday in our country!!!!???? But lets make sure Fido is fed, the stupidity that continues to be our society!

dan said:
      February 26, 2013 at 4:33 PM

oh yeah lets give give give America has the fattest poor people in the world,now link cards for pets, if you can't keep the dog give it to someone who can or put it to bed (everlasting sleep) lol

Beauty said:
        February 27, 2013 at 9:24 PM

There's nothing funny about puttin a pet to sleep

shirley said:
        February 28, 2013 at 3:58 AM

I think this is shit. I say this will end up US paying tax to feed some animals and i just will not do it.

Pioneer lady said:
        February 28, 2013 at 5:00 PM

You have done your homework. Last week n Tuscaloosa, Al, my daughter with PH D n Public health directed a rural health conference, held annually by Med. School at U of Al. I live on a farm n Alabama that has the highest rate of obesity n poor rural areas n America. Dr. Daughter said we need to return to old rural ways of growing food even if it is n flower pots and cooking healthy at home. We feed special needs dogs diet of brown rice, mixed veggies. 1 egg, fish oil, Tums n Doggie multivitamins. Have 2 dogs with kidney problems.

Russell said:
    February 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM

If I can get food stamps for my 2 dogs I should be able to claim them as dependents right?

hilda said:
    February 26, 2013 at 6:37 PM

May those people with negative comments, may never find themselves in a time of need seeking help. Every one has the right not to be judged, when having a hard time.

Pioneerlady said:
      February 28, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Hilda, Like u comment! Remember Storm Katrina, people died because they would not leave pets behind. Now, shelters will let u keep u pets n pet carriers.

Dorothy Davis said:
    February 28, 2013 at 10:20 AM

My dogs and cats are my life. I would rather feed my dogs and cats something. I can live off of nabs if I have to, but not my dogs and cats. They depend on me to feed them and love them with all of my heart. I am a widow lady and they are all I have.

RIFLEMAN said:
    February 28, 2013 at 12:28 PM

This will maybe keep people from dumping their pets out in the country for what they think the farmers will take them in.NOT THEY ARE SHOT DEAD.

Pioneerlady said:
      February 28, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Rifleman, shooting is what happened to all animals dropped n my community. We returned to my birthplace n care for all animals that find us. . .on Social Security.

brenda pendleton said:
    February 28, 2013 at 2:21 PM

i thinkit is angret ideal

fv5195 said:
      March 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM

i would rather take care of our pets than the illegals,welfare scammers and the rest of the filth in this country.go aspca

Amanda said:
    March 1, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I live in eastern kentucky, where a large percentage of people are on the draw from the government. They draw their monthly checks, get their medical bills paid, get assistance on the rent and heat bills, and not to mention the obama cell phones for free. Now they get their pet food for free! What a load of bullsh*t. Pets are a luxury, if you can't afford to feed yourself, why have a pet you can't feed?

loving mother said:
    April 3, 2013 at 5:23 AM

So many of you are heartless are you adults or children? Look there are many disabled people out there who NEED a pet to help them. Do you know most people on disability live on roughly $1,000/monthly? You try it plus some have kids too! Do you still want to be hateful? What if you 1 day woke up in a hospital and Dr, said sorry to tell you your blind for good then you ask for help like a seeing eye dog and they said sure for $1200 and you dont have it cause your income is so low they say sorry or else you get 1 and you cant afford dogs med bills or food for a couple months then what? You end up in a nursing home w/no dog to get around! Watch what you say/write you never know who's hearing/reading your comments! Also the fat comments are you that pathetic? you don't know how to live on limited funds do ya! You do what you can to keep your family taken care of!!!!

Lisa said:
    April 8, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Did any of you heartless people out there try to understand that everybody needs help one time or another. Low income, people who lost there jobs, or peol who got illnesses(CANCER). they love there pets, pets love you no matter what, never judgemental. As for people being obese, most of it is caused because people can' afford to eat like everyone thinks they should.. Meat fresh vegetables are too expensive, so people buy fillers to stretch a meal, like rice, potatoes, macaroni, so everybody eats. mysef I like animals more than people, Pets trully deserve the love. People who love their pets are happier, and seem to live longer, better quality of life. Never wish bad things on others,someday you could be in their shoes!

Betty Simmons said:
    August 14, 2013 at 1:53 PM

iI out May 2013 and as of day August 2013 iIstill about being , . !