A powerful Winter storm continues to churn through the southern Plains this afternoon. This storm will impact the Chicago area on Tuesday afternoon and evening with a wintry mix to start, changing over to bursts of heavy snow by late in the day.
Here is the very latest on Tuesday’s storm:
- The precipitation is expected to start between 11AM and 3PM. The morning rush hour will not be impacted, but the same cannot be said for the afternoon rush when bursts of heavy snow will be possible.
- Due to a warm layer aloft, the precipitation will begin as a mixture of snow, sleet and rain, changing over to all snow by late afternoon.
- Total snow accumulation between two and six inches is expected by 6AM Wednesday morning.
- Winter Storm Watches have been cancelled for southern Wisconsin, northern Indiana, southern Michigan and northwest Illinois.
- A Winter Storm Watch continues for northeast Illinois including Chicago. Although total snowfall accumulation will not be extreme, a couple hours of heavy snow combined with powerful wind gusts of 40 to 48mph may make the evening commute very difficult.