Elementary students taken to hospital after ingesting nicotine lozenges

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Several elementary school students were taken to the hospital today after ingesting nicotine lozenges.

According to a statement from Chicago Public Schools, the students were taken from Wendell E Green Elementary School in the Longwood Manor neighborhood on the city’s south side to a nearby hospital.

The statement said the lozenges were brought to the school by a student.  The Chicago Tribune reports 16 fourth grade students suffered nausea and upset stomachs.

The lozenges are to help adults quit smoking.  Police News Affairs Officer John Mirabelli tells the Chicago Tribune the students thought they were candy.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


  • Fiamma

    So one is to assume the child who brought them to school was told by a parent they were candy? Or did he grab it off a shelf in Wal Mart when his parent wasn't looking. They stock the nicorette gum and the lozenges out on shelves at a lot of stores, I'm glad they got sick, the amount of nicotine in those waasn't enough to hurt them seriously. That's why they don't really help people kick the smoking habit.