Ex-Illinois Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr, wife Sandi charged

A plea deal involving former congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr. was filed in federal court Friday, in which the Illinois Democrat admitted to conspiracy and other charges related to misappropriated campaign funds.

He and a co-conspirator admitted to concealing about $750,000 in campaign funds for their personal use.

If Jackson is convicted, there a list of property that the federal government wants him to forfeit.

The government’s long list includes a $43,000 gold-plated men’s Rolex, about $9,500 worth of children’s furniture, $10,000 worth of Bruce Lee memorabilia, and $26,000+ spent on Michael Jackson mementos. All purchased, improperly, with campaign cash, the feds say that the Jacksons have admitted to it all.

In a statement, Jackson said: “Over the course of my life I have come to realize that none of us are immune from our share of shortcomings and human frailties. Still I offer no excuses for my conduct and I fully accept my responsibility for the improper decisions and mistakes I have made. To that end I want to offer my sincerest apologies to my family, my friends and all of my supporters for my errors in judgment and while my journey is not yet complete, it my hope that I am remembered for things that I did right.”

Sandi Jackson has also been charged. The former alderman is charged with six years of understating the family’s taxes, part of what’s alleged to be a complex conspiracy to abuse campaign funds. Taking three-quarters of a million dollars off the books would not be easy to do– even with the wild expenditures alleged here: $5,000 worth of furs, another $5,000 for a signed football. It’s egregious and some observers think the feds are taking an extraordinarily light touch with Jesse Jackson Junior.

Dan Webb and Tom Kirsch, attorneys for Sandi Jackson, issued the following statement:

“Today, Sandi Jackson reached an agreement with the U.S. Attorney’s Office to plead guilty to one count of tax fraud.  Ms. Jackson has accepted responsibility for her conduct, is deeply sorry for her actions, and looks forward to putting this matter behind her and her family. She is thankful for the support of her family and friends during this very difficult time.”

Mr. and Mrs. Jackson remain in the Washington, DC area, according to their lawyers. He faces up to five years in prison, she faces up to three. Although it’s considered unlikely they’d both do time. Observers note the fervent apologies from both of them today- to friends, family and supporters—in short, to everyone but the voters.

Download the court documents:

Charges against Jesse Jackson Jr

Charges against Sandi Jackson

24 Comments to “Ex-Illinois Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr, wife Sandi charged”

k226 said:
    February 15, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Plea deal – what's new? What about some slammer time! POS

kirby1414 said:
    February 15, 2013 at 4:38 PM

its' about time – - now lets see if he and sandi get what they deserve. And as far as being soft on her sentence because of the kids – TOO BAD! They had these kids when they were commiting the crimes – old grandpa JJ can raise them!

Biggie said:
      February 16, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Grandpa JJ taught them everything they know about corruption

kirby1414 said:
    February 15, 2013 at 4:42 PM

they keep saying this is a difficult time for them – - – Only reason that it's difficult – is they are GUILTY and they got caught. Look at all the furs they bought – - WERE THOSE PURCHASES DIFFICULT??? How stupid do they think people are????

Todd Pardee said:
      February 15, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I see he softened the hard times with over $20k in Michael Jackson memorabilia…a necessity for sure!

Jim said:
      February 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Dumb enough to keep putting them in office…that dumb.

tedb said:
      February 16, 2013 at 7:32 AM

oh look at me I have bipolar disorder…if his daddy wasnt jesse he'd p[robably claim he was sexually abused as a child too

Ek742 said:
    February 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

bobhamiltonchicago said:
    February 15, 2013 at 5:08 PM

He cannot apologize without first saying something like "we all make mistakes" in order to then allow himself to feel better. Well, none of us takes money meant to improve this country and spends it on buying over-priced garbage memorabilia, $40,000 gifts for girlfriends while married, or any of the other thefts they committed. The judge should disregard the plea deal (his right) and make it 12 years for each of them, in a real jail.

kirby1414 said:
      February 15, 2013 at 6:51 PM

But REAL jail time – NOT some easy jail job – like teaching or the library. Let these Mr and Mrs A*holes clean some toilets and scrub some floors – - NO SYMAPATHY!!! And JJJ senior didn't know about any of this??? REEEAAALLY!!! How stupid are we suppose to be???

Steeveo mcj said:
    February 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Ha this is too funny! They got him and the wife! Now if they get his Daddy too it would be Perfect!

kirby1414 said:
    February 15, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I typically have sympathy for anyone with mental and/or health issues – - BUT!!! he has known about these charges, etc., for a LONG time – and all this bi=polar stuff is part of his scam!!! If I suffered from bi-polar issues, I'd be insulted by this douchebag's claims!! FRY HIM AND THE MRS!!!!

Mojo said:
    February 15, 2013 at 7:37 PM

How about Sandy Jackson being a resident of Washington D.C. while holding the office of Alderman in Chicago. Nobody complained about that… isn't that some kind of election fraud or something like that?

Tired of the Morons said:
    February 15, 2013 at 7:49 PM

How much he dimed her out.

Stew said:
    February 15, 2013 at 8:02 PM

JJ JR and Wife are punk politicians. Through them in the ring of fire!!! They have disgraced there people they served. Now the people are seeing the light they missed because they were blinded by this crooked politician. Weed them out and don't look back.

MTS said:
    February 16, 2013 at 12:08 AM

This is sickening when you think of all the GOOD they could have done with that money….so many poor folks out there, especially children. They both deserve prison time. I pity their kids.

pagan69 said:
    February 16, 2013 at 4:55 AM

Nothing but a pack of thieves, the pair of them stealing from their constituents and from the taxpayers. And her living in Washington and collecting a paycheck as an Alderman, thieves. Jail time for the pair, yes it is difficult for them, they got caught. How can you expect Chicago to be law-abiding when you have the people representing you breaking the law? And no break for her because of the kids, she is just as guilty as he is, send them off to live with relatives, that’s what happens to everyone else. Remove the crowns of the Political Royalty and send them to the prison. Hey where Sr. in all of this, distancing himself from the stink of corruption, hoping none of it attaches itself to him.

Lucy said:
      February 16, 2013 at 8:59 AM

So true! Daley needs to be up next to start getting probed and investigated. Chicago is so broke cause of them. Daley, you next.

tedb said:
    February 16, 2013 at 7:31 AM

what a scumbag

tedb said:
    February 16, 2013 at 7:34 AM

I need a gold rolex too…..oh sandi arent I a manly man with my rolex….yea baby give daddy some sugah!! dats how we rolls around heeyah!!!!

jesse sr said:
    February 16, 2013 at 7:36 AM

WHAT A FUCKING DOUCHEBAG

Kid1339 said:
    February 16, 2013 at 9:50 AM

When Sandy get's in prison & one of those 3 or 4 hundred pound inmates wants to set in her face for 3 or 4 hours that will be bad!

Tired of the Morons said:
    February 16, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Make it stop, my sides hurt, I can't laugh anymore. Now get king a-hole jj senior.