Code violations shutdown nightclub, community center

The Chicago Fire Department shut down two parties overnight for code violations.

Fire officials were first called to the nightclub about 12:15 a.m., in the 2200 block of South Michigan Avenue.The club located on the second floor of the building had a capacity of 80 people, but more than 140 people were found inside, Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford said.

Authorties also found that the club did not have correct lighting or exit signs. The officials determined the club lacked directional exit signs and proper lighting, and a rear stairwell was blocked. “If a panicked situation occurred, people who were not familiar with the place would not know how to get out,” Langford said.

Less than 20 minutes later, officials were called to a community center located in the 1800 block of South Racine Avenue.

According to police, several people had thrown bottles off the building’s roof, damaging cars parked nearby.

At first those people refused to let police into the building, but officers were able to force their way inside. Authorities found exposed wiring, damaged emergency lighting, falling plaster, open candles and weak stairwells, Langford said.

A 40-year-old man at the Michigan location was issued a citation for over-occupancy, failure to comply with an exterior safety plan and a liquor violation.  At the Racine location, police cited a 35-year-old man for public place amusement and a liquor violation.

2 comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s



Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 325 other followers