Local News

Plane returns to O’Hare after smoked detected in cockpit

A plane returned to O’Hare Monday night after smoked was detected in the cockpit.

O’Hare plane returns after smoke

The smoke was detected not long after an ExpressJet on its way to Canada took off.

The plane turned back to O’Hare and one woman on board was taken to the hospital with shortness of breath.

ExpressJet said all 38 passengers deplaned safely and issued the following statement:

“ExpressJet flight 5828, operating as United Express from Chicago ORD to Ottawa, Canada, declared an emergency and returned to Chicago shortly after take-off due to smoke in the cabin and flight deck. All 38 passengers deplaned safely and are in the process of being re-accommodated. We apologize for any inconvenience.”

VIEW & ADD COMMENTS

7 Comments to “Plane returns to O’Hare after smoked detected in cockpit”

    Charles Whitmore said:
    February 5, 2013 at 12:32 AM

    Does WGN even read headlines before posting these stories? What is "smoked"???

      Brian Millersmith said:
      February 5, 2013 at 1:00 PM

      Brilliant interns at their finest…

    passenger said:
    February 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM

    As a passenger on this flight, my comments keep getting deleted. So much for the real story being told…

      Brian Millersmith said:
      February 5, 2013 at 1:02 PM

      Oh, that couldn't be! "The Media" NEVER blocks stories, creates coverups nor candy coats anything. They also aren't afraid of the sponsors pulling advertising if *something* makes them look bad…

        passenger said:
        February 5, 2013 at 1:11 PM

        No kidding! And United did everything possible to keep us quiet too.

    jeff said:
    February 5, 2013 at 2:36 PM

    li ion batteries no thanks im just waiting for my phone to go thremal

    Thierry Tremblay said:
    February 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM

    I was there too, the whole plane filled up with white smoke. The pilots reacted very quickly and landed the plane safely. The flight attendant did a great job managing the situation and calming people down. She suffered a freeze burn on a hand while performing a safety procedure.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Advertisement

Advertisement