Local News

Cops: 2 dead after possible carbon monoxide leak

Police are investigating whether a carbon monoxide leak led to the deaths of two people in West Rogers Park.

Zanib Ahmed

18-year-old Zanib Ahmed is one of the victims of a possible carbon monoxide leak.

Paramedics were first called to the building in the 2500 block of West North Shore Avenue about 10:30 a.m. Sunday morning

They rushed two women to the hospital; one went into cardiac arrest and died.

Rasheeda Akhter, 77, was pronounced dead at 11:14 a.m., according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

Later Sunday afternoon, police came back to the apartment to take another woman to the hospital who was found unresponsive. 18-year-old Zanib Ahmed, died at 9 p.m., according to the medical examiner’s office.

Five children were also hospitalized, but are expected to recover.

Officials found a positive reading for carbon monoxide near a boiler in the building’s basement, but they won’t officially rule the deaths were caused by accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, but until autopsy results are reported, police said.

VIEW & ADD COMMENTS

4 Comments to “Cops: 2 dead after possible carbon monoxide leak”

    bubba said:
    January 28, 2013 at 12:20 PM

    A carbon monoxide detector would have been a good investment.

      Bubboo said:
      January 30, 2013 at 2:10 AM

      There were detectors in the house that didn't go off. Maybe if you read before you posted you wouldn't sound like an ignorant prick.

    Syed said:
    January 28, 2013 at 12:46 PM

    Its the wrong picture

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Advertisement

Advertisement