Medical Watch

Plastic Surgery: Going under the knife for a new life

Going under the knife for a new life– meet a woman who took a seemingly drastic step – four procedures in one day. She says the results have made every day since better.

“I want to look in the mirror and feel that my face matches what I feel inside.

It was an idea born after the birth of her daughter, Jenny, when Dorothy Nichols was 44-years-old. That was 20 years ago.

Dorothy said from the day she was born people said to me ‘oh your granddaughter is adorable.’

Even at work as a substitute teacher, Dorothy felt the sting to her self-esteem.

“They’ll raise their hand and say ‘Mrs. Nichols why does your neck wobble?’

The humiliation drove Dorothy to plastic surgeon Dr. Anthony Geroulis.

“We’ve seen really a bit of an explosion in this area where ladies are wanting to look fresher because they are tired of people asking them if that’s their grandchild,” Dr. Geroulis said, “We’ve seen men for the same reason.”

“I’ve continually done things for my family and my kids,” Dorothy said, “And I just want to do this for me.”

It was a five-hour surgery that included a face, neck and brow lift as well as work around her eyes. All textbook procedures, but for Dr. Geroulis, it’s as much art as it is science.

“The artistic aspect is how much to do and how much not to do.  All of that skin will be coming upward and will be redraped in a natural feminine way.”

11 weeks later, and Dorothy is ready to show off her results.

Plastic Surgery: Going under the knife for a new life

“Meeting people I haven’t seen the first thing they say is ‘you lost weight!’ and I haven’t lost any weight.”

But the gains have been enormous. The physical differences are striking– but what struck us– the smile. More frequent and more pronounced compared to the first time we sat down with the soon-to-be 65-year-old.

“Now when I look in the mirror I feel like it’s me and that’s the beauty of it. It’s me,” Dorothy said. “It’s like every day, I go out it’s a new adventure.”

The most rewarding adventure came just two weeks after her surgery, when Dorothy tagged along with her daughter to a beauty salon.

“The woman was talking to my daughter and then she turned to me and said ‘does your mother want to have anything done today?’ did you hear what she said, ‘your mother!’ In twenty years I had never heard that … never!”

In about nine months, Dorothy is planning to have laser treatments on her skin to remove more wrinkles. The cost for all four procedures-– a little less than $30,000.

30 Comments to “Plastic Surgery: Going under the knife for a new life”

steve call said:
    January 26, 2013 at 5:29 AM

til I looked at the paycheck for $7533, I did not believe …that…my friends brother woz like they say realie earning money parttime at their laptop.. there uncle has been doing this 4 only 17 months and by now took care of the depts on there cottage and got a new Lotus Carlton. I went here,,…….. http://xurl.es/v4kp0

bubba said:
    January 26, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Spending 30,000 to fix what happens when you get old. I don't get it.

Lucy said:
      January 30, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Get real! It's all about how you feel!!! No amt. of money can replace that feeling! We only get 1 life! Where do you hide out?

Michelle said:
    January 26, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Hi Dorothy,
    I want to start by saying that you look amazing.
    My name is Michelle and I am a skin care consultant for Rodan + Fields Dermatologists the makers of ProActiv for acne. They are now concentrating on anti-aging and have products that really work to slow down the aging process and also have awesome business opportunities. I think this could possibly be a great opportunity for you. Check out my website: mwathier.myrandf.com. If you're interested, let me know: michellebell123@yahoo.com

Julie said:
    January 26, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Wow I think you look beautiful!! Great results!!

Kathleen3 said:
    January 26, 2013 at 5:58 PM

This woman looks wonderful. Even better she feels wonderful inside. Love to read stories about people who fulfill their dreams.

coryjosue said:
    January 28, 2013 at 9:06 PM

She definitely looks better now; and what's more important is that her plastic surgeon has done a great job! Even though she had a lot of procedures done, she looks "au naturale" and that should be what plastic surgery is all about. I am proud of her because she looks glamorous and she feels good about herself.

Dorothy said:
      January 29, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Thank you for your comments. Dr. Geroulis is a great surgeon who did a fantastic job. Probably my favorite comments came from a group of 5th graders who said I look different and asked what was different they said I look "stronger."

Admire Plastic Surgery said:
    January 30, 2013 at 5:07 AM

Plastic surgery eventually change one’s body structure and lifestyle. Such truth has been well explained in the post. Thanks for sharing your experience with the world. Before and after snap in the post seems how good it is to consider plastic surgery in order to get our beauty back. Check out the surgeon profile http://www.admireplasticsurgery.com/dr-admire for clarify your plastic and cosmetic surgical doubts.

Dr Rhys Branman said:
    January 30, 2013 at 5:44 PM

What an amazing difference! She looks marvelous. Stories like this just gladden my heart. I feel good when I can help people too. Cosmetic surgery can be life changing, and those who think it is superficial are only thinking of Hollywood, not the average person who may truly be suffering in this way.

Dr Rhy Branman

janice quas said:
    January 31, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Dorothy, I have seen you around our building for years. You look FANTASTIC! I applaud you for doing this. Nothing feels as good as the self confidence from knowing you look your best. You made the right decision and I can only imagine how great you feel. Congratulations! J.Q. from G.West

loiswstern said:
    February 3, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I interviewed over 100 woman for my book: Sex, Lie and Cosmetic Surgery, and wish I had had an opportunity to have interviewed Dorothy Nichols as well. All sorts of wonderful things happen when you feel better about yourself. Trust me. I speak from experience. Just remember choose your surgeon wisely, just as Dorothy did.

breaking news said:
    February 7, 2013 at 5:09 AM

I keep listening to the newscast lecture about getting boundless online grant applications so I have been looking around for the finest site to get one. Could you advise me please, where could i find some?

lizadozer said:
    February 18, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Well, this is US in a nutshell. Just thinking about the outside and not the inside. You will regret this when you get old.

Allison said:
      March 4, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Got to agree with you. Imagine when you're in your eighties or even older. That can't be good…

blood type spa said:
    February 24, 2013 at 4:41 AM

According to that Plastic Surgery is going popular day by day. It is also a best way for a new life.

spa thai said:
    March 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM

It might make your ego feel good for a while but I wouldn't want to deal with the long term consequences. If you can, you should avoid surgery…

para el acne said:
    March 17, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Dr. Geroulis seams as a great . She definitely looks better now

rich amor said:
    March 26, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Looks great. But for me, I'll avoid surgery method

Mary Nauman said:
    March 29, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Plastic surgery is not my thing. I am not against it though. I simply believe that there are more natural ways to look younger. One could be getting a massage. It will make you feel and look young. Try it and you will see.

hina said:
    May 22, 2013 at 5:21 AM

wow what a transformation, but still i wouldn't try a plastic surgery no matter what

Dr. paul Drago said:
    December 8, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Its stent is possibly left there that will help help keep thee artery open.

Soome academics may offer particular specialized area that an option
    in this.