Coroner seeks exhumation of poisoned lottery winner
The Cook County Medical Examiner wants to get the body of a poisoned lottery winner exhumed.
Urooj Khan died in the summer of 2012, one week after he won a $1 million prize from an Illinois Instant Lottery ticket.
His death was initially ruled natural causes, until a tip led to further testing which revealed cyanide poisoning.
On Friday, Prosecutors will seek to have his remains exhumed, to find out more about what happened to him.
“Cyanide can be inhaled. It could also be ingested,” said Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Stephen Cina. ” We could learn from the exudation, depending on the body’s condition, which mode was most likely in this case.”
“(Cyanide) is extremely lethal. A little goes a long way. Less than a gram is enough to kill someone,” said Cina.
The Chicago Sun-TImes reports that Khan’s body was not embalmed because he was muslim.
That would lead to more rapid deterioration, which could affect autopsy results.
The Chicago Tribune reports that Khan’s father-in-law owes more than $120,000 in back taxes.
The father-in-law was living with Khan when he died.
An attorney says the father-in-law is devastated by Khan’s death.