Tom & Eddie’s
Locations in Lombard, Geneva, and Deerfield.
For more information, go to tomandeddies.com
Yin & Yang Edamame Sandwich, from the Lean & Green Sandwich Menu
- 1/4 cup bulgar wheat
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pickled ginger
- 10 oz thawed edamame
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2/3 cup shredded carrot
- 4 teaspoons sweet cooking wine
- 1 1/4 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 2 teaspoonshot sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Bring water and salt to a boil. Add bulgar and cook on low for 5 minutes covered. Let sit covered for 15 minutes.
- While bulgar is cooking, grind the ginger and edamame together in the food processor until the beans are minced.
- Using spatula, place the edamame bean/ginger mixture in the mixing bowl.
- Add lemon juice, carrots, wine, panko, egg whites, hot sauce and soy sauce to the edamame bean mixture.
- Add the bulgar to the edamame mixture and mix on low in the mixer until uniform.
- Place wax paper on scale. Measure out 4 ounces on the scale. Form into ball. Place on tray and cover with plastic wrap.
- Store in refrigerator or freezer.
- Lightly oil and heat skillet or griddle to 375 degree oven.
- Place edamame ball on skillet or griddle and press to approximately half inch thick.
- Cook for 2 1/2 minutes and then turn.
- Season with Salt and pepper.
- Remove from skillet or griddle after 5 minutes total.
- Toast multigrain hamburger bun and place burger on bun.
Tips for success:
- Do no over cook bulgar
- Let sit covered for 15 minutes
- Be sure and toast bun
- Can use frozen edamame — available at most grocery stores
- Oil skillet up to high heat of at least 375 degrees