Flames tore through a three-story residential building in Chicago’s Bridgeport neighborhood overnight.
The fire broke out around 1:15 a.m. in the 3000 block of South Emerald Avenue.
Firefighters arrived on the scene as the flames continued to grow. Crews were able to extinguish the fire within an hour.
One family lost three pets as they were attending a midnight Christmas Mass. Lily Lee says she and her husband returned home early Tuesday morning to a devastating sight. Lee’s three pets died in the fire. She says it was too late to save her Beagle, a Pomeranian and a cat.
No one else was hurt in the fire.
It’s unclear what sparked the blaze. Lee says the landlord had recently contracted some electrical work on the building.
The family is getting some assistance from neighbors as well as the Red Cross.